[07]

Lena came to Gotham as soon as she could after Irina's call because the sudden change in her brother's behavior and his enthusiasm to spend time together had even gotten her suspicious. She knew Lex was an extremely shut out sort of person and the sudden openness was bothering both aunt and niece.

However, the two decided to overlook it for the time being knowing that they should make the best of the situation. If Lex wanted to make amends with them both, they would accept the opportunity because it was indeed a rare occurrence and there was no knowing whether they could get a better chance in future.

Lena's presence in Gotham had brightened up Irina's mood as well and taken her mind completely off her worries regarding both Lex's technosuit as well as her doubt of Tim being a Bat vigilante.

And though Lex could not spend as much time with them as he had implied earlier, the two found comfort in each other's company and were happy to be together.

Irina had taken her aunt down to the gymnasium in Luthor Mansion and the two were after a long time training together just like they used to before Irina had come to Gotham.

"I see, you've improved a lot," Lena remarked as she observed the swiftness in her niece's moves, "looks like you practice often."

"Every single night," she replied with a small smile.

Lena had known about her operating as a vigilante in Gotham so she got the meaning behind her words quite clearly. And though she had been rather against the idea of it initially, Irina had eventually persuaded her into giving in but on the condition that she would always put her own safety on priority as well because Lena could not bear it if something happened to her dear niece.

After spending such a lot of time as each other's only support and family, Lena and Irina were much more like mother and daughter, as well as the closest of friends with no secrets among them. Lena cared a lot for her and could not bear to see her get hurt in the slightest.

"Give me your hands," she took Irina's hands in hers as the girl finally sat down beside her to take a break, wiping her knuckles carefully before winding up the thin bandage over her fingers, "and tell me what else has been going on that I'm not yet aware of? Excluding my brother's sudden show of concern."

"A lot apparently," a soft smile played upon her lips, "Aunt Lena, you haven't yet met my boyfriend."

Surprise crossed her features which was shortly overcome by the beautiful smile gracing her lips, "Irina... How come you never told me this before?"

"I guess it slipped my mind," she admitted, "oh well, I just... I was doubtful whether you would approve or not."

"And why is that so, my dear? Does Lex know?"

"No no," she shook her head, "you see... I was more doubtful of how Dad would react to it. It has been all over in the papers but I haven't yet talked to him about it in person... I don't even know whether he has found out or not or what he thinks about all this."

Lena gently clasped her hands in assurance, "I don't know about Lex but you have my word, I will always stand by you even if you're dating someone who Lex might not approve of. If he makes you happy then there must be no other objections."

Irina looked up at her fondly, "thank you."

A playful smile crossed her features, "now tell me who is the lucky young lad...?"

"Timothy Drake," Irina spoke up at last.

"The Wayne boy?"

She bit her lip slightly nervous, "uh yes..."

Though Lena quickly dismissed her worries by placing an arm around her waist as she walked with her back to her room, "I can see why the press was so interested now. Of course a Luthor and a Wayne would make quite a headline. But that doesn't matter for now at least. Tell me more. Where did you meet? How long has this been going on? And rest assured, I won't object just because of who he's related to, it doesn't matter to me."

She nodded, rather relieved to hear that from her, "I met him at Wayne Tech and later he worked for a while in my department here as well."

"So a finding love at office relationship?" Her eyes flickered in amusement as she observed the slightly pink shade on Irina's features.

"Not really," she chuckled at her aunt's remark, "far more cliche than that."

"I'm all ears," Lena replied encouraging her to resume.

The two were sitting on Lena's bed as Irina told her all about how she first met Tim Drake at Wayne Tech and then later he became a rather frequent damsel in distress whom she had rescued multiple times.

"But even though he gets into trouble way too often, deep down he's a really sweet person," she spoke, green eyes shining fondly at the memories she has of him, "we became friends rather soon and after that I don't know how but we just fell for each other."

Lena was observing her rather carefully, a smile dancing on her face because she had never before seen Irina that happy to talk about having someone in her life. And she knew that Timothy Drake had definitely been the first to ensue that sort of reaction from her niece, making her even curious to meet him.

Irina showed her Tim's picture on her phone, the one Richard had taken of him at the movie night at the Manor.

"Oh, he looks like a really adorable person too," Lena remarked.

"He is quite adorable," she replied, resting her head in her aunt's lap as she gently stroked her hair, "so much so that sometimes it seems unreal."

Lena thought about her words for a while before speaking up, "so when am I going to meet Timothy?"

She looked up, "you would want to meet him?"

"Of course I do. Let's call him over for dinner someday."

"But what about Dad..."

"I'll handle him," Lena assured her, "tell me, do you love Timothy?"

Green eyes gazed up at her with a rather clear look written across, "yes. Very much."

"Then that's all that matters," she gave her a warm motherly smile, a gesture that Irina had missed most in her time away from her aunt, "if you love him and he loves you back, then nothing can tear you apart. And definitely not this rivalry between my brother and the Waynes. You have my word on that."

***