[21]

The door was being knocked upon rather impatiently and judging by the impatience Helena knew exactly who it could be. Crushing the cigarette she had been smoking, she got up from the couch and opened the door.

She wasn't surprised to see Jason or rather Red Hood, standing out there. But seeing who he was carrying had surprised her. But she said nothing just then as she stepped aside to let him in and cleared up the couch so he could place Irina down on it.

By the time she had locked the door and returned, Jason had taken off his helmet and his face indicated that he was both exhausted and anxious at the same time.

Helena looked down at the unconscious figure of Irina Luthor, raising an eyebrow at him skeptically.

Jason merely shook his head in reply, grabbing a half empty bottle of liquor from her kitchen, downing it in a huge gulp.

She could see that whatever had happened had been terribly draining for both of them. So she decided to give him enough time to tell it all to her by himself. While she busied herself in checking Irina for any fatal injuries.

"I couldn't think of anywhere else to go," he spoke up at last, "so I brought her here."

"I figured," she replied, covering her with a blanket, "what happened to her?"

"Remember the Luthor case I had mentioned once? Well, we were supposed to hold Lex back but his own suit malfunctioned resulting in his death. But the media has been spreading the propaganda that he was killed by us."

"I saw the news," she shrugged, "they're assholes who'd even sell their souls for a rating." She had started to treat her injuries, placing a cold swab on her forehead as Irina had been burning up in fever by then. She had begun to treat the rest of the wounds as well by applying tincture and bandaging the cuts.

"Since Irina had no idea what had actually happened, she went to the crime scene and found her father's dead body. Of course she blamed us and wanted revenge, but Tim being the absolute dumbass that he is, went off to face her on his own."

"Oh," she looked up at him noticing that the flush had started to rise on his neck from the liquor that he was downing in his system, "put the bottle back, Jay, no more drinking right now."

Without any argument, he placed the bottle on the table, leaning his head back as if exhausted, "and the little bitch didn't tell her who he really was... He let himself get beaten up. Dick and Dami had taken him away but I'm sure they'll be in some hospital by now. His injuries weren't minor enough to be just treated by Dr Thompkins."

Helena looked back at Irina in sympathy, "I bet she's reduced to such a state after finding out about Tim."

"She was devastated," he replied vaguely, "trust me, Helena, I've never before seen anyone like that and it shook me up badly."

She checked her forehead, "she's burning up in fever."

"For a second I was scared that she was going to die from the guilt," he mumbled, "she lost consciousness but kept repeating those damn three words: I hurt him. And believe me when I say that I've never felt more worried for anyone my whole life."

She gently took his hand in hers, squeezing it in a reassuring gesture, "after going through so much her reaction was bound to be like that, she will take some time to get back to normal."

Jason was worried about her too but his mind was flickering towards Tim as well. He wanted to know whether he was okay or not.

"Helena, can you do me a favor?"

"Shoot."

"Can I leave her with you for some time? I have to check up on Tim as well."

She nodded, "fine. Let me know how he's taking it."

He looked at her gratefully, nodding his head as he stood up, "right. Just stay with her at all times when she wakes up, I don't want her to hurt herself anymore than she already has."

"Don't worry, I'm not going to leave her alone even for a second," she added, "I've had enough experience by now. Remember when you left Cass in my care? I still can't figure out whether that girl was suicidal or murderous."

"She was both. And I don't know about Irina but I think she will be extremely unstable as well."

She stood up as well, accompanying him to the door, "keep me updated about Timmy, so that I'll know how to handle her questions when she wakes up."

He kissed her gently in farewell then put his helmet back on, "thanks, love."

"Now go, Jay, you know Dick won't be able to handle everything on his own for so long. I'm certain he'll be having a panic attack right now while that little demonic brother of yours will be pestering him as usual."

She shut the door and locked it as he left, turning her attention back to the battered up girl on her couch.

A soft sympathetic sigh escaped her as she sat down beside her, cautiously taking her head in her lap, brushing away the tears and dust from her face.

Helena could see clearly that the night's events had torn her apart completely such that even though she was unconscious, still her face depicted pain.

She kept stroking her head gently in hopes that it would wake her up. At last Irina's worried features had started to ease so Helena rested her head back at the couch as well, her hands still gently massaging Irina's forehead and temples in order to soothe her frayed nerves.

No wonder she had gone through two of the most shocking revelations of her life. The first being the death of her father and the second being the guilt of fatally hurting the man she loved herself.

And Helena had been correct in saying that it would take a considerable amount of time for her to get back to normal.

***