Chapter 7 - Lucas

"Remind me again why we're here?"

"Because you've been sulking like a miserable asshole," Zack throws over his shoulder as he walks inside the house.

He's dragging me along to some party the hockey team is holding even though this is the last thing I want to do. I fucking hate crowds because I fucking hate people and I'd rather eat shit than be surrounded by all of Boston U. And all of Boston U is definitely here. When we walk inside the house it's packed and I get bumped into twice only seconds after entering the place. I grunt in frustration.

"Fuck this. I'm going back to our dorm," I tell Zack but he grabs me by the sleeve of my leather jacket before I can turn around.

"All you're going to do is sulk like you've been doing all week and then you're going to get drunk and fuck a random girl. At least at this party you can do that with me keeping tabs on you."

"You're not—"

"Your babysitter. I know, you dick. I'm your best friend and I'm looking out for you so shut the fuck up and get over yourself."

My mouth twitches. It's kind of refreshing when I'm spoken to like that and I can't deny it actually amuses me instead of offends me. Still, I plaster on a straight face as Zack leads us to a keg nearby. A dude notices us and calls our names and everyone else surrounding the keg follows suit, immediately backing away and letting us cut in line to get drinks. Zack nods at them in acknowledgment, nice guy that he is. I wait behind him with my arms crossed, the poster image of "don't fucking talk to me." I don't want to be here to begin with so small talk is sure as fuck off the table.

Zack passes me a cup and we both leave the line. I let him lead us away since I don't know what the fuck he wants to do anyways. The place is so crowded there isn't anywhere for us to sit. When he starts for the stairs I assume he wants to see if there's space upstairs but he pauses on the middle steps and sits down. At least no one is close to us if we sit here so I follow suit, leaning against the handrail and taking a sip of beer. It's only then do I notice that Zack is actually the one who's sulking, looking around the house with a grim and zoned-out expression.

"What crawled up your ass?" I ask.

He barely glances at me, shaking his head and not answering my question. Zack is the type to say what's on his mind so if he's not telling me something then it has to be pretty bad.

I nudge him with my shoe. "Seriously, man. You good?"

"Forget it. It's stupid," He says vaguely and finishes the rest of his drink in one chug. My brows go up.

"If it's stupid then why are you tripping out?"

"I'm not tripping out."

"Yeah, you are." I sit down next to him. "Talk."

He blows out a breath and looks away. "I'm serious, Luc. It's stupid and you have enough going on."

"That's what this is about?" I ask dryly. "Because I'm the kid whose mother has cancer you can't talk to me about your problems anymore? Fucking bull. Start talking, Hunter. You gave me that dumbass best friend speech two seconds ago so act like it."

His jaw ticks for a brief moment as he considers it. Finally, he shrugs. "Rowan ended it today."

My brows come together. "Who?"

"Professor Alvarez," He clarifies, lowering his voice and looking around to make sure no one's listening.

Huh. I watch him for a moment. He looks genuinely put-out. "I thought it was just fucking. Forbidden and dirty shit, you know?"