Chapter 29 - Lucas

I sit up in bed when I hear the front door open followed by a commotion of noises. Throwing my headset down and pausing my video game, I go to open my door and head for the stairwell. From upstairs I can already see our foyer crammed with people but my eyes immediately seek out one person—the only person I really give a fuck about. She hasn't noticed me yet, too busy greeting my parents, so I lean against the wall and watch her for a moment.

I used to hate when Olivia came over because I had to lock myself in my room and do everything I could to pretend she wasn't close by somewhere and burning me from the inside out. Most of the time I'd leave the house altogether and avoid catching a glimpse of her or letting her catch a glimpse of me. I succeeded too. Occasionally I'd purposely bring a girl home much to my parents' dismay and disapproval. They knew I was trying to hurt Olivia and Olivia knew it too, staying out of my sight and playing my game. I was a fucking dick and then some. It's weird that I'm actually excited about having in her my space now. I know it's only because I don't have to pretend I don't want her anymore. I motherfucking have her. My lips tug up and I'm unable to take my eyes off her.

"You realize you're staring, right?" Landon comes up behind me and peeks around my shoulder. I scoff and shove him back, to which he grins. "What? You don't care that Liv will notice? You must be coming down with something."

"Must be," I deadpan. I still haven't looked away. I watch as Olivia throws her head back in laughter at something Mom says before wrapping her arms around her happily. Fuck if I don't feel myself soften. Something about the two women in my life I actually care about...seeing that...my chest pulses.

"Dude," Landon sounds so stricken I have no choice but to look at him. He's slack-jawed and his eyes—their green-blue colour completely identical to mine—are wide with incredulity. "Why are you looking at her like that? You're scaring me."

"Boo," I retort drily.

"I'm just saying, bro. You keep up those moon-eyes and everyone will think you guys are together or some shit."

"And?"

A choked noise comes out of him and his eyes widen more, if possible. When he speaks his voice is high-pitched and he sounds goddamn prepubescent. "Holy fuck. You guys are together?"

"Did I ruin your dreams, asshole?"

"Well, now that you mention it..."

"Too fucking bad," My arms go around him in a headlock that he can't get out of. He slaps at my hands and I smirk before releasing him. I look at Olivia again just as she follows Mom into the living room and disappears out of sight.

Before I can start for downstairs, Landon grabs my shoulder. His eyes are full of all kinds of excitement. "Do Mom and Dad know? Does Uncle Cam know? He's going to beat your ass!"

Fucker actually jumps on his toes and I pull my arm away with a scowl. "No one knows yet. Keep your mouth shut."

"Why? Is she a secret fuck?"

My brow twitches in irritation and I grab him by the collar, my voice deadly. "Watch the way you talk about her. Brother or not, I'll beat your ass."

He sniggers. Fucking sniggers. "You're so pussy-whipped. This is the best day of my life."

I roll my eyes, letting him go and bounding down the stairs before he says anything else I don't want to hear. I was dangerously close to punching his face in and I'm not about to cause a mess on today of all days.

Mom was officially declared in partial remission last weekend. More than fifty perfect of the cancer is gone so she's allowed to take a break from treatment. She hasn't gone back to chemo in a week and already she seems happier and calmer. Less in pain.