Chapter 12 - Olivia

Hockey games are fucking crazy at Boston U. I'm used to being in sport arenas and surrounded by crazy fans after years of attending my father's and uncles' boxing matches but this is its own territory. You can tell how crazy the hockey spirit is around here. Everyone is dressed in the team's colours and are cheering so loud my teeth rattle. That could also be because of the cold. I underestimated how chilly the arena would be and I suddenly curse my choice to wear a tank top. Goosebumps break out all over my arms and I rub them furiously.

"We could run back to the dorm and get you a sweater," Grace offers from beside me.

I shake my head. "The match will start by then. Besides, we have really good seats."

We made sure to come early. I wanted to see Beck before the match started but I couldn't find him so we've been in our seats since. Videos of my performance yesterday have been circulating and I basically put a spotlight under myself. I'm grateful I've never been the type to care what others think but I do care what Beck thinks. He must be confused and I wanted a chance to clear things up. I know he's not my boyfriend and that we're only friends who occasionally flirt but I still want to offer an explanation of sorts. If he wants one, anyway. Today might not be the best time for that conversation because I know how important this first match is for him. Besides, he's racked up on fans right now. His name is on multiple signs and if I'm not mistaken he has groupies too. I honestly find it amusing because he's so modest about himself and led me to believe he wasn't a big deal when he actually is.

"When do they come out?" Grace asks and cranes her neck.

I nudge her with my elbow. "Looking for Alex?"

When her cheeks go pink I know it's not just from the cold. She mumbles an unconvincing, "No."

"What's up with you two?" I ask. "Are you guys a thing?"

"I don't know," She groans miserably. "What does that even mean? What does anything mean these days? You could be a thing, or you could be in a talking stage, or you could just be flirty. There's a million ways to date people without actually dating these days. How the hell is anyone supposed to know what they mean to anyone anymore?"

"Amen," I grumble. "That's why I'm stumped about this thing with Beck. I know we're into each other but we haven't made any move to take it further. So what are we? Should I even talk to him about yesterday? Is it his business?"

"Technically it isn't," She shrugs. "But you have an unspoken thing so now you have to read between the lines and hope you're right."

"I hate men."

"All day everyday."

We high-five and go back to sulking. I take a moment to eye Grace, noticing her cute outfit. "You didn't answer my question about Alex, by the way."

"Because even I don't know how to answer your question. We've been texting everyday but I don't know, Liv. He's a hockey player and constantly flanked by girls. I could be just another name on a list."

"Well, are you into him? Do you want to see where this could go?"

"Maybe?" She scrunches her nose. "Do you want to see where things with Beck could go?"

"Maybe," I give her the same response and we laugh. "God, we don't know what the fuck we're doing, so we?"

"Nope. These boys could ruin our lives and yet we're sitting here to cheer them on."

"Go Terriers," I spin a finger in the air. I sigh deeply and cross my legs, trying to warm them up too. When I feel eyes on me, I notice Grace is still staring. "What's wrong?"