🏠|Chapter 34|🏠

Jace has been getting by fine. And she's surprised to be honest. She assumed at least sixteen kids would come after her but no, not at all. It wasn't the exact opposite, but it was the opposite.

They stay clear from Jace, literally scrambling and tripping to get away and Jace has no clue why but she also knows why. But even though that is happening and no bullying is going on doesn't mean the pain is gone.

No, it is far from being gone.

Not even because of the bullying or school. No, her parents.

Not like it has been new but after that day things have thickened and the airs gone tense and it is hard to breathe. It is hard to breathe when she is in the same aurora of the two together.

It is like their only incentive is to fight fight fight without another thought. Once Jace came down for just a glass of water and well, she was dragged into an argument but only god knows what.

She sure as hell doesn't.

But it is so sad. So sad to see her parents, the ones who pushed through hell on their own at different points and then pushed through hell together fight like a pack of wild wolves over a prey or just stances. It breaks her heart.

›››

"Papa?" Jeongguk hummed, looking up from his work desk, hand pressed against his forehead holding his head up. He was so tired and worn out it wasn't even amusing to see how far his limits could go anymore.

He had literal black rings around his eyes and they weren't small, either, no far from small and light. His eyes were a dull brown, no longer their bouncy chocolate color that also partly fulfils his eldest daughters eyes and some of the youngers too.

Jace sighed, holding the cup between her hands tightly as she looked down, "papa... y-yo-you are---are t-t-tired... you n-need to g-go t-t-to b-bed." Her father made a snorting noise and pushed himself up---not even that---forced himself up.

"No sweetheart, I'm alright." Jace frowned and looked down at the dark oak desk and swallowed, seeing upon his done stack was smaller then his to-do stack. She sighed, "papa..."

Her voice was quiet and small but her father did hear her but shook his head, "m' fine baby, don't worry." His eldest only nodded stiffly and placed down the cup on the desk, "t-this i-is f-f-for y-you papa... I m-m---made it m-myself."

Jeongguk looked at her and gave her a half appreciated sloppy smile and breathed out, "thanks pumpkin... what time is it?" "T-time f-for y-you t-t-to p-put st-stuff up." Jeongguk let off a mixed sound between a grumble and a chuckle and shook his head.

"You... you're funny," Jace sighed, knowing he was drop dead tired and would say odd things and act odd. So she just looked at her watch and back at him- "3:34am."

The elder looked at her- "what?"

Jace looked back at her watch, "y-yeah---oh! n-now 4:35am."

Jeongguk's mouth went agape, "why aren't you in bed?" Jace shrugged, "w-w-wating f-for you." Jeongguk gave her a sympathetic look and then it twisted into an apologetic one and he looked at all the papers on his desk and groaned.

"God I can't believe I've been here since six pm and now it is 3:35am-" "now 3:37-" "whatever. It is late love, go to bed..." Jace shook her head, "no... I'm f-fine... I p-p-promised mama I'd k-k-keep an e-eye on y-you."

Jeongguk chuckled, "no need to... I'm not dead yet," Jace gave him an unimpressed look and rolled her eyes when he told her to excuse him as he went back to work. She isn't letting this happen.

No, not today---well, it is practically the next day.

Her father gave an odd sound between a muffled yell and scold and groan when his computer shut off. He turned and saw Jace holding the computer cord in her hand and went to swipe it from her but she is quicker then him.

Much, much quicker.

"Nah uh," she hissed, pulling it back and out of grasp for her dad whom seemed determined on getting it back but gave up and nodded, "fine... I'll go to bed..."

Jace grinned in her win, "good."