Chapter 21 - Blackbird

A/N: I apologise immensely for what you are about to read. I cried MANY times writing these next 2 chapters :(

Chapter 21

A chorus of blasters cock and Chewie yowls in realisation of what me and his best friend are now doing.

Kylo Ren turns aggressively and I wish I could see his face, just to see if anything he really says is true.

"Han and Y/N Solo, I've been waiting for this day for a long time," his modulated voice crackles, sending chills down my spine and bile to my throat. Together, we begin to walk towards him, cautious of the lack of railing on either side of us. There's a mechanical whirring and with a quick glance I spot Rey and Finn now looking horrified down towards the three of us on the bridge.

"Take off the mask, you don't need it," Dad says strictly, stopping halfway across the bridge and me just behind him.

"What do you think you'll see if I do?" Ren asks, straightening his spine to make him seem aggressively taller.

"The face of my son," he replies more softly.

"And my brother," I tell him, shakily but confident. The click and hiss of air that releases from the helmet startles me, half because I didn't expect him to actually take it off and half because of the deafening silence filling the echoing hall of sorts.

The first time seeing his face other than in my nightmares is surreal and terrifying all at once. He's changed. His face is more slender, his hair longer, his eyes filled with pain and torture. However his lips and nose remain the same. He can change his name and attire all he wants, but he's still my brother. Still Benny. Which is probably why the sight brings actual pain to me. This is all Snoke's fault.

"Your son is gone," he informs us matter-of-factly. "He was weak and foolish like his Father, so I destroyed him,"

He doesn't mean that, I think over and over in my head.

Dad takes a few long steps towards him and follows a small distance behind. "That's what Snoke wants you to believe, but it's not true. My son is alive,"

"No," his voice gets dangerously deeper. "The Supreme Leader is wise,"

"Snoke is using you for your power, when he gets what he wants he'll crush you," now standing face to face with him, I can see the small scars covering his face. "You know it's true,"

He actually seems to believe it for a moment, his face doesn't show it but his eyes do. They turn back to the same brown colour that he shares with our Mother, exhaling a shaky breath. "It's too late,"

"No, it's not," I tell him, seeing the stoic tears begin to fill his eyes. "Leave here with us, come home. We miss you,"

He looks directly at me and his lip starts to tremble. "I'm being torn apart," his voice cracks heartbreakingly. "I want to be free of this pain. I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?"

Dad steps straight in his eyeline and I stay in my spot close behind. "Yes, anything,"

"Always," I reassure him with a nod.

He's still. But then the heavy sound of his helmet hitting the floor echoes and he takes out his makeshift saber, painted black and wires awkwardly sticking out from when he took his old one and remade it into what it is now.

From where I am standing I can't exactly see what's happening but I'm almost certain that he is handing it to Dad. The entire room is silent. Too silent. It gives me a bad feeling. It goes darker and the sun begins to fade.