Chapter 24 - Later

Chapter 24

When morning finally came around, Poe was surprisingly still asleep. His little tantrum must have tuckered him out, poor thing.

I get out of bed and do my normal routine before turning on BB-8 and quietly greeting him. Snitch, I think momentarily but erase the thought from my head. It's not his fault, he's just trying to keep us safe.

I tell him to tell Poe that i've gone to breakfast, and I hesitantly add on 'We'll talk later'.

I leave and enter the grub hall which - thankfully - doesn't have many in yet. I grab a mug of stale caffeine and some toast and sit down in my corner. I take out my flower book - which I mentally note I haven't actually opened in a long while - but quickly snap it shut when I find myself opening to the Kibo page.

I push the book away from me as if it is some kind of food that a kid wouldn't like. With a sigh, I take a sip of my caffeine and open up my data pad. I scroll through my messages, replying to the ones that I need to reply to. And that doesn't include Snap's memes he shares to the Black Squadron group chat. Though I do find myself laughing at a few of them.

Whilst I'm doing nothing of great importance, I seem to get distracted by another nagging thought that's been circling my mind. Jessa.

I type in her name, age, place of birth, mother and father's name, hoping to find something; anything. But alas, she's blank.

And I don't blame her. She probably heard about the massacre and decided to go underground, much like any of Luke's other graduates. If I had the choice I probably would've done the same.

In frustration, I push the bottoms of my palms into my eyes and only notice then how extraordinarily tired I am. I mean, more tired than you usually are on an army base anyways. I guess Poe isn't the only one who's tuckered themself out from the argument.

Despite telling BB-8 that we would talk later, I really have no desire whatsoever to actually talk about what happened with Poe. I don't know why, I just feel like he maybe wouldn't understand. He's new to the whole force thing, he couldn't possibly know how to deal with these sorts of things. In the nicest way possible, flying is his thing, not the force.

"Y/N?" Jess' voice says softly, sitting in the seat in front of me. "You've been here for an hour already, are you ok?"

"Oh, yeah. I-i'm fine," I glance at my datapad and realise that it has indeed been an hour and my caffeine is now a lovely chilled drink instead.

"Are you sure? Do you want me to get Leia or Poe-?"

"No!" I interrupt but quickly regret it. She's only trying to help. "I'm sorry. I just don't really want to talk to him at this moment."

"Am I allowed to ask if everything is going ok?"

"He's just acting like a child right now. And not wrongfully so, it's just frustrating."

"More than usual?" she stifles a laugh and I feel my lips curling upwards.

"Somehow, yes," I give her a smile before we both stand up and get rid of our waste. Standing outside of the canteen, she looks at me and sighs before pulling me into a comforting hug.

She doesn't say anything but her thoughts are loud enough. "Poor girl just lost her dad and her brother is on the dark side and now her boyfriend is being a dick. Looks like Kare and I will be having words with Dameron later on."

I have to stop myself from laughing - the force has gotten me into trouble like that before.

"I'll talk with him later, don't worry about it," I reassure her and she nods and pulls away, looking at me kindly before ruffling my hair. I pout and groan, trying to flatten my now frizzy hair whilst she laughs as she walks away and towards the hangar.