Chapter 4: Escaping the Darkness

Savannah continued to fall. "Is this like the wall?" She thought. She waited, but she still didn't touch the ground. "Huh!" She sighed. As she continued to fall she heard the same familiar laughter she had heard from the very beginning of her journey. "Well speak of the devil." she proclaimed. "Hello Savannah." said Jareth appearing from the dark. "What is it this time?" She snarled. "Now now, I thought you would be happy to see me." he replied with a grin. "I don't have time to talk to you." She complained getting agitated. "I just wanted to see how you were enjoying my labyrinth." the King said trying to appear innocent. Savannah thought for a moment. She didn't want him to know that it was actually quite challenging. "Easy peasy"she replied with a smile. "I'm actually quite surprised on how well you are doing" he said "Aside from carelessly choosing a door, you are making good time".

   He then began to approach the mortal slowly. "But it only gets harder from here" he stated trying to make her give up. "Well I'm up for the challenge" Savannah claimed with fire in her eyes. Jareth liked this and so he got closer. "So you are not the least bit frightened?" He asked her(although he knew she was). "Not one bit" the girl said. Jareth was now an arms length away from her, but Savannah wasn't threatened at all. "Then why don't we make this more interesting" Jareth said producing a smirk. A clock then appeared. "I'll take away one hour" he claimed laughing. "Are you kidding me!" She screamed in her head, but she didn't let him see her anger. She remained calm and simply said "Have it your way, the villain never wins". Jareth laughed and raised his hand to touch her face. "Whoa now wait a second!" She said in her head. Savannah caught the Kings hand and sent him a threatening look in her eyes. Jareth drew back and said "I also like a challenge!". "And a challenge you will receive!" Savannah shouted not taking her eyes of the King of Goblins.

   "Well goodbye for now young one" the man said waving goodbye. "Parting is such sweet sorrow" and with that he was gone and all was left was a cloud of glitter spreading through the air. "Well what do I do now?" Savannah thought because she was still falling. "Wait I think I see the ground!" She shouted with joy. She found the ground alright, she hit it hard. "Ouch!" She cried.

Jareth's Point of View

   He was happy with there little discussion. Well except for the part when the girl caught his hand. He enjoyed the fire in her soul. The way her crystal blue eyes melted with rage as he tried to stroke her face. "All in good time my dear" he thought to himself. He took into notice that his throne was very uncomfortable. "You!" He pointed to one of his guards. "Get me some more feathers to put in this stupid chair!". The guard quickly ran out of the castle for he didn't want to end up guarding the land of eternal stench!

   Her reaction to him taking away an hour did bother him though. He wanted her to get mad at him or shout, but although she was mad, she didn't show her anger at all. "How can she be so strong?" He questioned himself. He has taken her siblings, he has reduced her time, but yet she was still perfectly calm. Did she actually think he would let her win?

Savannah's Point of View

   She looked around, but it was completely dark. Is this where her sister had fallen? She walked around looking for a light source. "Hello?" She shouted. Savannah continued to walk when she tripped over something large. "Aroooooo" the creature yelled. The girl stepped back trying to see who the yell belonged to. Finally a light came on and she could see. There sitting before her was a beast of some kind. It had orangeish brown fur and pointed horns. The beast looked up at her and said "Sawah?" "Why was everyone calling her Sarah?" She thought. "No, I'm Savannah" She said giving the beast a smile "Sawannah?" Replied the beast "Close enough, and what is your name?" The beast stood "Ludo" he answered. "Well hello Ludo, nice to meet you" she claimed sticking out her hand. Ludo looked at her hand in confusion. "You shake it" Savannah said "that's how people greet each other". Ludo smiled and grabbed her hand shaking it.

   "How did you get down here?" Savannah asked Ludo. "King want Ludo Forgotten" the beast said with a sigh. "That's awful you seem like such a nice beast" she proclaimed hugging the lonely Ludo. "Well we can escape this together" she stated. "Sawannah friend?" Asked Ludo. "Of course!" She beamed with joy. The two continued walking together when they heard a shuffle from behind them. Savannah turned to find Hoggle huffing and mumbling. "Now why'd ya haf ta get stuck downs here?" He questioned the girl. "It's not like I was trying to!" She shouted. "Well if you haven't noticed this is an oubliette!" He continued "this is a place where's people's ares sent to's be forgotten". "Ludo forgotten" sighed the beast. "No you aren't Ludo I'll always remember you!" Savannah said stroking the beast arm. "Well do's you's wanna get outta here or whats!" Yelled Hoggle. "Ludo out"cried the beast. "Well lead the way Hoggle" chimed Savannah.

   The short goblin walked over to a wall and picked up a piece of wood. He then placed the wood against the wall and turned the knob. Out came pots, pans, and a shower of dust. "Dammit" he proclaimed "I's does that's every time". Savannah laughed and Hoggle pulled the handle off and placed it on the other side of the door. This time when he opened it light shined through. "Wells come on!" He snarled. Savannah crawled through the door with ease, but Ludo on the other hand had a much harder time fitting through. She was on her way yet again.

Yes, I understand Savannah is pretty young right now, so the way Jareth acts towards her is unsettling. However, keep in mind that the age rules don't really apply in the underground. Picture this as being in the old days where girls were expected to be married off at a young age.