Chapter 16: Engulfed in Flames

The next day, Savannah woke up with the remains of her tears. It was hard knowing that the old woman that was so close to her had passed and that when she needed her family the most, she couldn't see them. She sighed and plopped back down onto her bed. After a while, she noticed that Matty was no where in sight, but she could hear commotion in the hallway. Savannah slowly got up and placed her head against the door. On the other side, she could hear Matty and Jareth talking. "Dumble is outside waiting for her" she heard Jareth say "Ok's I'lls gets her ready!" Matty replied. "Ready for what?" She thought. All of a sudden, foot steps began to near the door. Savannah ran back and jumped onto her bed pretending to sleep.

   "Wakey wakey lady!" Matty yelled as she nudged Savannah's shoulder. "I'm up!" The girl replied. The maid then placed her breakfast tray on her lap. Today's morning grub consisted of pancakes with extra syrup. "Thank you Matty..." She said with a sigh. Matty paused her before she began and hugged her tightly "Everything wills be Ok's!" Savannah smiled and hugged her in return. Quickly, she gobbled down the fluffy pastries and drank what looked like orange juice. "So, what's going on today?" She asked Matty as the woman dug through her wardrobe. "Well, da kings gonna let ya have some alone time riding Dumble. Then, when ya feel like yer ready to come home, he's gots a surprise for you!" Savannah sat back trying to figure out what the surprise was.

   Matty suited her in a light yellow dress that had blue roses on it. Savannah slipped on some matching flats, thanked Matty, and headed out into the hallway. Once there, she found Jareth leaning against the wall. "Good morning!" He said grinning. She simply nodded and proceeded down the hall. Just before she could turn a corner, Jareth caught her wrist and spun her around hugging her tightly. Savannah wiggled a little at the sudden embrace, but was happy that he was showing a bit of sympathy. He held her for a moment and when she was comfortable enough, she returned the hug. "Dumble is waiting for you outside. I'm sure he has already told you that" Jareth said releasing her. Actually, Dumble hadn't spoken to her at all. He must have wanted to give her some space...

   When they were outside, Dumble screeched "Savannah!" Savannah smiled and flung her arms around the Griffins neck. The beast lowered its head over her shoulder "I'm here for you" he said. "Thanks Dumble!" She replied. Savannah hopped up onto Dumble's soft feathers. Jareth patted the beast beak "Be careful with her or I'll turn you into a roast!" Dumble shook his head "Bit me!" Savannah laughed before noticing Jareth's firm gaze on her. "The stable will be finished by this evening" the king said. Dumble nodded and took off high into the sky.

   The wind whipped Savannah's hair back and forth. She could now allow herself to cry. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this Dumble!" The Griffin shook his head "It's alright I know how much she meant to you. Besides, it's good to cry sometimes!" Oh yeah! She forgot about the whole imprint thing. Dumble saw her past just like she saw his. Savannah loved the connection they shared because she never felt alone. "I know I won't be sad forever, but it's still hard!" She sobbed. "I know..." He responded. Dumble continued flying smoothly and gracefully making sure not to bounce Savannah around too much.

   After a long time of flying, Savannah sat up and looked around her. She could see forest spreading for miles and horses galloping through creeks and plains. "Your world is beautiful!" She cooed. "Yes it is, but it can also be dangerous. Don't go anywhere without me or Jareth, but more importantly me!" Savannah smiled brightly at Dumble's remark. "Can we take a break in a little while?" Dumble asked. "Of course! Just tell me when". Savannah replied. They continued on until Savannah noticed a bright creature laying on the ground below. She couldn't make out what it was, so she asked Dumble to fly a little lower. It was a bird or some sort and it looked injured. "Dumble! That bird looks hurt let's check it out!" She screamed. "I don't know Savannah..." Dumble said with hesitation. "Please!" She begged. Dumble finally gave in and flew down.