Chapter 20: Living Like an Elf

It had been a full year since she left her home in the center of the labyrinth. Every day since then, she went to classes to learn how to use her magic(even though she never really used it out of fear of someone realizing the power she wielded) and proper etiquette. The King and Queen strongly disapproved of her leaving the castle for the first year of her arrival. With that in mind, everyday was the same. She woke up, chose her clothing, met the Royal elf family for breakfast, and then went off to class. Today was different though because she had graduated her classes the day before.

   Savannah now had a better understanding of her powers and felt that she could better control them. Even though she could control them better, she was still unable to join the Labyrinth since tension was still raised there for her where a bouts. She had no time to gather any of her things from her room the day she left. The crystal ball Jareth gave her was still sitting on its pillow collecting dust. Savannah had missed her siblings birthdays. She smiled at the thought that Elizabeth was now a teenager. Boy had time flew.

   All in all, today she was free. She had decided that she would pay a visit to the townspeople and the castle's garden. She woke up at her usual time, got dressed in a navy blue gown, and went down to eat breakfast with the elves like she normally did. "Good morning Ms. Onyx" beamed Giselle as Savannah neared the table. "Morning, how is everyone on this beautiful day?" Enrique peaked up from spoon feeding Ella(who had been born a week after her arrival to the Elf kingdom) "What are you so cheery about?" Savannah took a seat at the table "Nothing, it's just I haven't had time to explore the kingdom due to classes, so I'm anxious to see everything I can". The king looked at his wife to see if this was a good idea. The queen nodded then added "At least take your guard Fredrick with you for protection". Savannah groaned "Why do I have to take him? He is so...so tedious!" Giselle giggled "He may be a little dull, but he is one of our best guards. Not to mention your other guard Ashton is training the new recruit". The girl sighed then ate her breakfast.

   Once finished she hugged everyone and went to the palace doors where she found Fredrick waiting impatiently. "Good morning Ms. Onyx, I have come to the understanding that you would like to tour the city and gardens today?" She nodded "Then we best get going!" Fredrick opened the door to a carriage awaiting outside. It's horse neighed in greeting. Savannah hopped up into the elegant transportation and off they went.

   They arrived to the gates of the elf city. Savannah shrieked at all the new scenery. "Please! Try to contain your excitement Ms. Onyx!" grumbled Fredrick. This is exactly why she didn't want him to come. Wherever she went or whatever she was doing, he always had something to say about it. "Onyx stop" or "Onyx hurry up" were the frequent phrases she heard from him daily. Fredrick was pushy and didn't seem to know the meaning of the word "Fun", but with all of his flaws he really was the palaces leading guard. Whenever the family needed him, he was there.

   Leaving the carriage, the two headed off to the cities square. Elves big and small hurriedly went about their daily business. Some went to shops with odd engravings on them and others went to food stores and wineries. Each building looked something like the little German houses of Helen, Georgia. The scents of cooking bread and the sounds of laughing elves filled her with determination and serenity. She was happy to get some fresh air and to get her mind off the Labyrinth, its inhabitants, and the things that had happened to her since she muttered those stupid words that one day.

   "The King and Queen have provided a certain amount of elfdy's(money basically. One elfdy is like four dollars in U.S. currency) for you to purchase things here." Fredrick said giving her 100 elfdy's (keep in mind that these are four dollars in U.S. currency, so she actually has 400 dollars). Savannah gasped "A shopping spree!" Fredrick rolled his eyes "We are not to go ludicrous with this freedom. We will spend the elfdy's wisely understood?" There he was again. She was 17 almost 18 meaning she was old enough to know how to spend money wisely regardless of what she desired. "I understand" she replied.