Exploring The Outside World

3 months after my encounter with the demon brothers, I was finally getting a hang of living in the forest. Sure, it's usually cold and damp, not to mention the multiple demon run-ins, or the hard times of finding edible food, but I managed through. I fled into the woods, one where I knew demons wouldn't easily spot me. Making a makeshift treehouse, I hid on top of the trees. It was very uncomfortable, but survival comes first. Right now, I'm spearfishing at the river that runs through these woods. Or at least trying to. I read a book about fishing, but I never actually tried it until today.

"This is boring." I muttered. "I would rather get chased by demons."

At least I'm getting better at outrunning them. I wonder how Emma and the others are doing? I have an actual plan to help the other kids escape, but it requires Emma to do so. I hope she doesn't do anything stupid that'll get her shipped out early. From what I can garner up, only kids with the lowest score in tests will be shipped out first, and since there hasn't been a kid who've passed the age of 13 in Grace Field, they get shipped out anyway when they reached the age of 12. I don't have to worry about Emma's scores, but I have to return in 3 years to make sure she and the others escape.

Suddenly, a man came running out of nowhere. He was tall and his face was covered by a hood. He didn't seem to notice me, but I didn't take any chances and hid behind a bush. He continued running, so I decided to follow him. I don't know if he's human or not, but he looked odd enough to gain my interest. He was carrying a gun. A shotgun to be more accurate. I've read about those, a single shot could easily kill a human. Possibly a demon also.

We eventually got to a clearing, outside of the forest. I saw the man stopped to reach in his pocket and pulled out a pen. Obviously, I couldn't get closer to see what the pen was for, but he soon started running again. We ended up in the desert, but he stopped again to look at the pen he was carrying. What is that for? I looked closer, only to witness the man get into a hatch. How did I not notice that?

I walked towards the hatch. I wonder what's in here? I tried multiple ways to get in, but none seemed to work. This must be what the pen is for. I wonder how I'll get in though. I could just wait for the man to come out of the hatch then ambush him, but I wouldn't know when. I guess there's no other choice.

A week later, the sound of gunfire shot me awake. It was louder than I expected it to be, but now I know whoever's shooting is close. Not just that, but I could also tell that the firearm was a rapid fire one. Possibly an assault rifle. I hopped down the tree, and made my way towards the shootout. It was dark, but there was enough light to see the same man i saw a week prior and a demon chasing him.

It looked like the man was about to be eaten, but then he turned around and shot a whole magazine at the man-eater. Down goes the demon.

"Damned demons." I heard the hooded man say.

He then scurried off towards the direction of the clearing. Looks like he's heading back to the hatch. Now maybe is the good time to get the pen from him. I decided to follow him, yet again. Only this time, I grabbed the biggest rock I could see before going.

Finally, we reached the hatch once again. The mysterious man pulled out his pen from his pocket, and just like that, it opened.

"Home, sweet ho—" Right before he could climb down the ladder, or finish that sentence, I knocked him out with the rock I picked up. I grabbed the pen and the rifle, then climbed down the hatch. It's a shelter? Apparently.

I should probably get the man inside here as well. It would be bad, if I just left him there because then demons might find him. Soon, after I dragged the man in, I tied him up with a pair of rope I found lying around. It's not ideal, but I don't exactly know him. If he turned out to be bad news, I'll be glad I took the extra precaution.

"Now, to get a tour of my new home." I say with delight. This is definitely better than that crummy makeshift treehouse I made.