The Game Begins

Remember, Norman, Emma's the queen.

-K

"What on earth?" If I weren't dealing with such a huge problem right now, then I would be flattered. I think?

"What does it mean by that?" Ray questioned.

"I don't know. Earlier this morning, I noticed multiple things off about the house. A wrong clock, switched out paintings, and eventually, it lead me to the storage room where I found this note lying with the box of apples." Norman explained. His voice showed confusion, but by the look of his face, I could practically see his gears grinding to figure out who wrote the mysterious letter.

"Uhh.. Hey, Norman? Don't we have a bigger problem on our hands?" I gestured my head towards the side indicating that we should proceed with our plan of escaping. Well, when i mean proceed, I meant we have to strategize it first.

"Oh yeah, of course. Sorry, Ray. Emma and I have to deal with something real quick. We'll catch you later, alright?" I think Ray was about to say something, but we left faster than he can muster anything up from his mouth.

We eventually got downstairs to see mom conversing with the other kids. It was unbelievable to see her acting so normal compare to what we saw last night. It was like she was a completely different person.

Apparently, my hands were shaking incredibly, but I didn't even notice. I only realize when Norman held it, and calmed my nerves up a bit. "Relax, Emma. We know she's the enemy, but we can't let her realize that we know her true self. Otherwise, she'll also know that we're her enemy."

Right, I need to calm down. Mom may be our enemy, but we didn't need to fight her. We only needed to escape. If anything, fighting her will only make our plans even more difficult than it already is.

Norman and I finally got to the fences after a fifteen minute walk and hopped over it. He grabbed a stick and drew somewhat of a strategy board while I just watch intently. There was a lot of risk riding on our escape plan, and we both did not like the odds, but if there was a slim chance that every single one of us escaping, then know that I'll take it! I don't care what it costs, I won't let my family be eaten!

"Still, it would be better if we know just a little bit more." Norman thought out loud. "Come on, Emma, let's go further into the woods and see what obstacles we might run into once we make our grand escape."

A wall. Woah, I guess they really don't want any of us escaping, huh? I looked to my left to see Norman missing, and then looked to my right to see him failing his attempt of climbing a tree. "Alright, I guess it's up to me."

"So, is something there?" Nothing, it looks like the wall is about two or three meters thick, and the top of it's pretty high up. "But there are no guards."

"It's quiet. Emma, what do you think?"

"It was built sturdy. I don't see any rough edges or seams, and the surface is smooth. There's no way someone can climb this."

"Then, should we just give up?"

I shake my head. "No, definitely not." If it was Norman or I, then climbing this wouldn't be a problem with a rope.

"I don't sense any demons, only mom is watching us. So, there's no need to be scared." A noise made us break into a run back to the house. It was the bell, we needed to hurry off before mom catches us.

It's safe to say that we made it in time, but oh boy are we out of breath. I can see everybody here as well. No, wait, there's two missing, and I can tell that Gilda noticed it too.

"MOM!"

"What's wrong. Did something happen?"

"I'm sorry! I lost Naila while we were playing in the forest! I looked, but I couldn't find her." Mom pulled out her pocket watch for whatever reason, and loosened her tense body before showing a calming smile on her face.

"No need to wor—" Is something wrong? Why did she suddenly stop, her face scrunched up aswell, looking more serious.

Mom looked at every one of us before landing her eyes on Gilda. "Gilda, am I forgetting anyone?"

"What do you mean, mom?"

I saw her smirk before dismissing her own question at Gilda. " Nevermind. However, we might have a few guests arriving later tonight."

"Guests?" Could it be demons? No, that can't be! They wouldn't just show themselves to us, children, so openly. Would they?

"Everyone, stay here until I get back. I won't be long."