Nevermore The Raven

I should really send Emma a letter. Knowing her, she's probably not functioning well. That girl's been lingering by my side for longer than I can remember. She's likely letting herself go now that I'm gone. But if I'm going to that, I need to make sure mom wouldn't know. Neither could the other kids. The more people know, the more likely our so-called mother would find out I'm planning something. The question is, how do I send her one?

"Hey, kid! Move it! The man-eaters are here." Mister yelled, snapping me back into reality.

"I'm coming." I ran towards the man calling me, but a wild demon sprung out of nowhere.

It tried clawing me, but fortunately it missed. I pulled out my dagger, and charged at the demon. It quickly used its other five limbs to kill me, but I evaded it. Dodging left and right. I ducked at the last swipe, and stuck the knife in its middle eye. It dropped dead, but more are on the way. So, I quickly pulled out my dagger and continued running.

"Holy shit! Kid, I thought you were dumb as hell when you said you didn't need a gun, but what you did back there was unbelievable!" Mister said.

I gave Mister a smug look, but I must admit I didn't really think we would run into demons. That's the reason why I didn't take any guns, it was unnecessary.

"Come on! We're almost there. I can see the hatch!" Mister yelled.

That was three hours ago. Right now, I'm at the archives once more. Mister and I went on a supply run in the forest. We gathered up just about everything we needed to survive in the shelter for another month or two. I'm on the floor reading a book about the war between humans and demons. Apparently, it happened over a thousand years ago. It only stopped when a man named Julius Ratri made a proposal to a demon called The One. That is when the world was divided into two. Then, the demons were given humans, whom they kept alive inside numerous premium and factory farms for future trafficking and meat farming.

It has only been a month since Mister and I agreed to live together, and everyday seems to be just like when I was at Grace Field, except for the fact that what I do now is all for survival. Ever since I made the mister cry with my cooking, he made me in charge of making our daily meals.

"Elios! Elios! What are you doing, Elios?" A voice can be heard, along with the flapping of wings.

I looked up to see a dark-feathered bird I call Nevermore land on top one of the shelves. He is a raven I met right before we passed the clearing that leads to the desert. Mister wasn't too keen on keeping him, but I was all for it! He reminded me of the bird in The Raven, a poem, by Edgar Allan Poe. A writer whose work I've read a lot back in Grace Field.

Actually, haven't ravens been used to sent out letters? Could I use Nevermore as a messenger? I immediately got up from the floor and searched for a parchment and a pen. When I found what I was looking for, I sat down at a nearby table. Then, I thought it would be more fun if I wrote a poem instead.

"There we go!" I announced to absolutely nobody, feeling proud of my first ever poem. At least I thought there was nobody.

"Who's Emma?"

I jumped. It was the mister. He was leaning over my shoulder the whole time, and I didn't notice! Crap, did he read my poem?

"Nobody!" I yelled, with a tone clearly showing my annoyance of him.

He raised an eyebrow and grinned playfully. He maybe older than me, but the way he acts is like that of a child.

"Right. Of course she is. So, who exactly is this Emma person? Is she someone I need to be concerned about?" He asked with a weird look on his face, as he sat down one of the chairs.

"Emma? Elios! Elios! Who is Emma? Is Emma a friend?" Nevermore suddenly joined the conversation.

"Yes, Nevermore. Emma's a friend. I have a favor to ask of you." I roll up the parchment and tied it with a red string I found lying around. "Can you please relay this letter to her?"

"Yes! Yes! Of course Nevermore can!"

"Great, but please make sure no one else see you, ok?"

"Woah! Kid, you're not actually going to send that thing, are you?" Mister stood up in surprise. "I mean, I'm not one to oppose true love, but sending a letter to someone still inside a plantation could get them killed! You know that, right?"

"Since when have you cared about someone else?" My words got the mister to flinched.

"Hey! If that girl ends up dead, don't you come crying to me about it. Got that? I warned you." He grunted before leaving the archives.

"And it's almost 8! Get to cooking already. I'm starving!"

I'm not worried. I know Emma enough that she wouldn't tell anybody about this letter. Besides, I specifically wrote it down so she won't do so.