Rematch

"I know you're here. The both of you, whoever you are, please come out. I won't harm you." Damn it, how'd she found out?

Conny and I were cathing up on all the events we've missed during the time we've been apart when I heard somone humming. It took me a second, but I quickly realized it was mom, so I grabbed ahold of Conny's hand and pulled her into a bush. As soon as she stopped walking, I saw her carrying a girl in her arms, it was Naila. I almost didn't recognize her since she was only a one year-old at the time I've left. The only thing that tipped me off was the numbering embeded onto her neck.

"Conny, get as far away as you can. I'll try to derail mom from either of us." I wispered at Conny, who's hiding in a bush with me.

She nodded before rustling away quietly. As soon as I know Conny's far enough that mom wouldn't able to find her, I got out of hiding. "Oh. Welcome back, Elios. I'm pleased to see you're still alive."

"Why? So, you can just have me fed to the demons?"

"No, of course not. You've been causing quite a scene out in the demon world, haven't you? Well, you're safe here, I won't feed you to the demons, I'll even let you live out your days here with me and the rest of your siblings. Emma's been missing you a lot since you've left, you know?"

No thanks, I would rather not witness my family be butchered by the likes of you. "How'd you know I was here?"

She smiles at me. "There's a tracker in your left ear, Elios. Everyone has one, that's why I know you're not the only one here, are you? There's someone else."

I didn't say a thing. Anything that comes out of my mouth can lead mom to Conny's location. She may even find out that she's still alive, and I can't let that happen.

She walked closer to me. "Tell me, Elios, what do you hope to accomplish in coming back?"

"I want to help the others escape, what else?" She stops only a few feet away from me.

"Are you sure that's what you want? It'd be wiser to spend your time on helping me nurish these children, don't you think?"

"Sorry, mom, but I'll have to decline your offer."

"Can I ask why?"

"Because I don't want to, obviously. Currently, you and I are playing a game, and any outcome where I don't save my family counts as a loss."

"A game? Elios, perhaps you've forgotten, but I recall beating you in everything, am I mistaken?"

"Not everything." My response got her to think hard and remember any events where I bested her. "We're playing a game right now, aren't we? And it has yet to produce a winner."

Her face showed a look of surprise before she bursted out laughing. "That is true, I suppose."

"Fine then." Mom gently laid Naila down beside a tree. "I'll give you a headstart."

A headstart? "Ten.."

"Nine.."

"Eight.."