Let's Make A Deal

"Nice one, kid. But you ain't fooling nobody." He laughed, expecting me to do the same. Then, my deadpan look made him drop his earlier tone and speak with a more serious one.

"Hey, you're kidding me, right? You've got to be pulling my leg here! You mean you've never heard of William Minerva?"

"Nope."

"The hell did you get in here then?"

"I followed you, obviously. Then, I stole your pen and used it to open the hatch."

"Kid. You came from a plantation, right? Just like me?"

"If plantation, you mean orphanage, then yes."

"Then tell me exactly how you escape. Don't leave out a single detail."

So, I did just that. I told him just about everything. I was already set to be shipped since I recently turned 12. Though the night before, Ray said that our mother was calling for me near the gates. It was odd at first because she told us to never go near it, but I didn't question him. When I got there, I met the twins. I was horrified of them, they backed me into the wall and told me how they were going to eat me. I then did some quick thinking, and figured a way out of my life ending predicament. It was their mistake of telling me the truth about Grace Field that lead to my escape.

"A bet?"

"A bet." I repeated. Do I need to clarify myself, or is this man having trouble with his hearing?

"Kid, you're nuts." He finally said after another 5 minutes of silence. I assume he was still processing everything I just said, otherwise I would've thought he suddenly became mute.

Nuts, huh? Well, if that's what it takes to survive, then so be it. Life is only a game with the difficulty set to max. The rules are you must survive, but I'm planning to do more. And I will do just about anything to win.

"Well, that's a nice story and all, but I'm still not sharing this shelter. So, I suggest you start heading out right now!" And he's back to the grumpy old hermit that he is.

It's a good thing I've explored this place. Otherwise, I wouldn't have this bargaining chip.

"Is that so? I guess none of us will be having it then!" I declared.

"What on earth are you on about?" The mister irritatedly asked me. He's annoyed to still hear me talking to him instead of scurrying out of his shelter. Ha! Right, like I would ever do that.

I pulled out a device from behind my back. It's familiarity causing him to sweat abundantly. "Let's make a deal. I won't blow this place up into smithereens, so long as you let me live here."

"Well played, but if you don't already know I cut off the wires." The Mister said with a grin.

"Oh, I know. It took me about an hour to fix the wiring, but I got the job done." I win, old man.

"An hour? How long have I been out?"

"8 hours, give or take."

"8 HOURS? The fuck? How hard did you hit me in the head?"

I don't know. Pretty hard, I guess? "So, do you accept my deal, or not?"

"Do I have any other choice? Fine, you can live here, but you better not hold me down! You'll be helping me gather supplies for this shelter. But if you're being chased by man-eaters, don't expect me to come save your ass. Got that, kid?"

"Sure, I can live with that."

"Now, untie me. I'm starving. I can't believe I've been asleep for eight hours."

I got up from the table and loosen up the rope that I tied him in. "By the way, my name's Elios. Your's?"

"I ain't telling." The mister blatantly said, and left for the kitchen.

I followed behind him. "I'll just call you Mister then. Is that alright?"

"Do what you want."

We soon reached the kitchen. He was about to grab something from the cabinets, but the aroma of the dish I cooked earlier made the mister stop in his tracks. He searched for the smell. When his eyes landed on the pot placed on the stove, he looked at me.

"Hey, kid. That smells great. What is it?"

"Creamy spinach and artichoke salmon. You had missing ingredients, so I substituted some with what you do have. I hope you don't mind."

"Serve me a plate, and I won't" he bossed. He really needs to work on that attitude of his.

"Kid, this is delicious." Weird. I could've sworn he cried when he was eating. I know my cooking is good, as I've been told about a hundred times back in Grace Field, but I never thought it would make a grown man cry.