The Assignment: Part 3

It was day 8 of my assignment and things had not progressed.

I had been here far longer than anticipated, however, my superiors did not rush me. They knew that I'd get the job done and get it done cleanly.

A small problem arose though...

Harry had not left his apartment.

A small part of me thought that he knew that someone was coming into his apartment and based on the fact that he kept sleeping on his couch instead of the perfectly comfortable bed in his bedroom, I assumed that that small part of me was correct.

On Day 4, when I could tell that my target was not planning on leaving that apartment anytime soon, I decided to go with Plan B.

Plan B made things slightly more complicated but I knew that he knew he was still missing his wallet. Plan B was risky but, after observing his neighbors for the last four days, I had to make choices that were not exactly what one would define as ethical.

I am anything but ethical.

I had left my apartment much the same way, jumping to the ledge of the apartment next door, clad in all black. I snuck into the apartment to find the old man snoring soundly with his mouth wide open, and dropped two drops of the undetectable poison onto his tongue.

It was the kindest way I could have done it.

If I had feelings I would assume I felt guilt at the action but I did not feel. Besides, from his extensive health records, the 85 year old man was dying from pancreatic cancer anyways. If anything, I'd done him a favor.

In the early hours of Day 5 they found the old man's body and on Day 6 his adult children came to collect his belongings, leaving the apartment vacant.

Zillow posted the apartment for rent on Day 8.

I contacted the apartment building as soon as it was listed.

Hi honey....I'm home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here you go Karinne, please let me know if you have any issues with the apartment. The lights and water should be on for you." I nodded simply with a smile and took the keys from the unsuspecting superintendent of the building as I balanced a box in my arms. I had informed my superiors via text of the situation and they had allotted me funds up front to supply furnishings to the apartment so that it looked like I was actually moving in next door. I figured just the bare minimum would pass for the amount of time it would take for me to get this job done.

After setting my things down on the kitchen counter, I pulled my target's wallet from my back pocket and headed downstairs.

Taking the stairs was smart, the elevators would have cameras and I could not afford the risk of someone recognizing me.

I dinged the bell on the front desk and the superintendent came around the corner of his office with a bright smile on his face but what appeared to be confusion as well.

"Hi, so sorry, I found this wallet sitting on my kitchen counter? I'm not sure who it belongs to or why it was there but I wanted to bring it down just in case you needed to turn it in to the police or whoever lived there before me." The superintendent's eyes looked concerned now and I was about to feed him another line when his eyes lit with recognition at the picture in the wallet.

"Ah yes, Mr. Styles is your neighbor. I'm sure the cleaning lady we used to clean out the space found this outside of your door and just left it there. I'll call him down now, I'm sure he'll be thrilled it is found." I smiled as sweetly as I could and headed back up the stairs as the superintendent picked up his phone to call my neighbor. My smile doubled in size at the success of my plan.