Shards of Glass: Part 6

Your pulse is echoing in your ears as your breath is stolen from you by the strong hand clamped around your throat.

What began as passionate and emotional has now become something wrong.

Harry's eyes, your partner's eyes, were black as midnight and there was no familiar glint of mischief in his irises anymore.

There was nothing but depth and shadow.

You began to panic as your air supply was closing off and his hand was unrelenting. You had to think fast even though your heart was shouting at you what your mind had already concluded in Niall's office.

Harry was the serial killer.

He was the suspect with two distinct personalities.

You reached your arm up and slammed your elbow down on his, breaking his hold on your neck. His eyes went wide, the green coming back into focus as you coughed and gulped down air but you were still on the defense.

The heel of your right foot connected with his chest and Harry slammed into the opposite counter before sinking down to the floor.

In your desperation to protect yourself, you reached for the knife set to your left and pulled out the largest one. You hated knives and usually stayed away from them as memories from your childhood would flicker across your mind anytime you saw them but right now...you needed something to protect you.

Hopping off the counter you made a run for it, your eyes catching the golden petals of the flowers sitting on the table as you bolted towards the front door. You had almost made it when an arm wrapped around your waist, locking you to a solid torso while you kicked and thrashed.

You tried to scream but his large hand clamped down over your mouth and tears slid down your cheeks as you realized you were trapped.

"Theron, I'm so sorry. Sshh please don't scream. He's gone. He's gone I swear." His voice was gentle and quiet in your ear, pleading with you to remain silent and calm but you continued to try to escape.

Harry somehow wrangled you to the ground, placing his hips on top of yours, his hands fighting yours for the knife but in your will to escape, you sliced the palm of his hand making him sit up with a hiss of pain.

Your arm snapped out and raised the knife up to his throat as your breathing grew heavy and labored from all of your efforts. Harry blinked down at you, his green eyes filled with regret and sorrow, his hands raised up in surrender while he sat astride you. Blood trickled down from his right palm towards his wrist and began to drop down onto the hardwood floor.

"You....," your voice came out shaky and you don't miss the wince from your partner as he hovers over you, "it was you this whole time," the realization that Harry was the unsub the whole time has finally sunken in and it takes everything in you to drown out the sob rising in your chest, "how could you?"

Harry looked devastatingly guilty in that moment. He showed all the signs of remorse, his green eyes shimmering with unshed tears and yet you didn't know when he would make the switch again.

"Theron...I tried...I've tried for so long to keep him away. I've tried so hard to protect you. I...I've done terrible, horrible things and I couldn't risk him hurting you," the point of the knife moved as his throat bobbed from swallowing, causing a new trail of blood to slide down his lightly tanned neck, "please, let me explain. I'll tell you everything."

"How can I ever trust you? You tried to kill me."

"No! No never me. I could never hurt you. It's him, the other me. Theron, you know me. I'd never harm you. Never." The honesty poured out of him and onto you but you were hesitant and rightfully so. You didn't know when he'd change again and how quickly but you knew some of the signs. The migraines and the knuckle cracking.