Shards of Glass: Part 5

Author's Note:
Only one or two more parts left after this >:)

-Balletclutz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understandably, you felt you could no longer stay under the flirtatious eyes of your partner so you had packed up your things at about four o'clock and bid him farewell. He'd tossed out a suggestive comment about your shared plans for that evening, causing a pink glow to warm your cheeks, and then you'd escaped the precinct while you still had some dignity and sanity left.

The drive to Crest Avenue was a long one, especially with your mind in a tizzy over Harry and his mood swings. He'd gone from kissing you, to running away, to being bold and flirty, to apologetic, and then back to this seduction tactic all in the span of a couple of days.

It was a lot to deal with considering that his behavior of late was not something you had experienced until now.

Throughout all of this though was the information about his father and you knew you had to be a good friend and just simply be there for him throughout this difficult time. This was all probably stress induced and he'd be mortified if he knew how wound up you were over his playful banter.

To be honest, you didn't even necessarily hate it. You actually loved this side of him.

It was salacious in the most tempting and endearing of ways and just so unlike the Harry you had come to know but...this other side of him was a piece of his personality you had always hoped existed beneath the surface.

It didn't hurt that this new found personality trait was directed towards you of all people either.

Pulling up the street you noticed a car parked out front of the white picket fenced home that had earlier that day been empty. A small and triumphant hum left your mouth as you parked your cruiser on the opposite side of the street and grabbed the folder containing the victims from this past year.

You were sure that Connell and Laken McGrath had something to do with these murders. You didn't know how but you knew there was something about them that had your skin crawling just from looking at their pictures and files.

You slammed the car door shut and noticed how eerily quiet it was on the street. Only one car passing by at a pace that was probably just over the speed limit.

The wind blew gently, pushing your blonde hair over your shoulders as you crossed the street towards the house for your second attempt to make contact. An uneasiness filled you at being alone. Usually Harry would be with you to execute a home visit but you needed some semblance of space if you were going to survive the evening with him later.

Two knocks on the door and you stepped away, placing your hands behind your back, the file clutched between them. You let out a sigh. Someone was home, the car parked out front suggested as much and yet....

You reached a fist forward again, knocking louder and yelling, "Police! Open up!"

The sound of scattering footsteps brought a smile to your face and finally you were greeted by one of the twins.

"How can I help you?" A snaggletoothed smile beamed down at you. You pulled your detective's badge out and that smile faltered slightly.

"I have a few questions for you and your brother. May I come in?" He glanced behind him seeming to be waiting for a response from someone else. A quick nod and then he was looking back at you again, this time with a meekness about him.

"Sure, come on in." You pushed past him and looked around your surroundings. It was a beautiful home, clearly their parents from all of the photos displayed along the mantle and walls. As you scanned around looking for anything that may be of particular interest, you find the other brother staring at you from the couch with a menacing stare.