ღChapter Sixteen: Airborne Illness

"Mooooomuh!"

Riley shook her head and blinked a few times, pulling herself from memory lane. Her daughter had her brows raised with a wide eyed stare. 

"You alright?" Eve asked.

Her mother smiled, nodding, "Yeah. I'm good. I was just thinking about old memories... old friends."

She watched her daughter get up and scoff a laughed, "Yeah. Sure."

Her mother frowned, turning in her chair and tilted her head, raising a brow, "Oh, no?"

Eve shook her head, pouring more milk into her glass. "Nope." She looked up, shrugging a shoulder. "You were thinking about the 'One We Don't Speak Of'." 

She looked down to finish pouring the milk as Riley blinked. She stared at Eve and frowned, "How- how'd you know?"

The teenager shrugged a shoulder. 

"I can tell. You get this dark and angry look on your face whenever you think about what Josh did to you and me." Eve carefully picked out her desired cookies from the "safe" batch on the stove. 

Eve walked the plate back over to the table, Riley looked at Eve and raised a brow. "But...?"

Grinning as she bit into a cookie, Eve wiggled her eyebrows, "But then you got that gross sparkly look in your eye and I knew you were thinking of Dan."

Her mother blushed, smiling and swatting Eve's arm lightly. "Oh hush!"

Eve continued to laugh as her mother walked back to the stove and opened the oven. She watched her mother almost drop the tray in her hands when there were footsteps coming down the hall and a messy haired, half-dressed Daniel made his way into the kitchen.

The teenager was still chomping on her cookie as Daniel, who hadn't noticed Eve yet, was looking at his t-shirt that he was shaking in his hands and frowned down at it. "Hey, Love? I think in your haste earlier, you might have ripped my favorite shirt this time."

Riley's head snapped over to Eve whose eyes widened and stopped in the middle of biting her cookie. The mother gulped, weakly smiling as she turned to Daniel and grabbed him by the jaw to shift his head. He jumped when he saw Eve.

"Oh, shit."

Riley sighed, looking upward with a smile, shaking her head lightly. 

The teenager at the table narrowed her eyes, glancing from her mother to Daniel and back again. She looked at the t-shirt in the man's hands and narrowed them further when she took the notice of Daniel wearing the pink embroidered apron over his bare chest.

Her eyes widened, glancing at the cookie in her hand and scoffed, dropping it onto her plate. "Ugh! Please tell me you two did your little sexy time upstairs and nowhere near my cookies!"

Daniel grinned, wrapping his arms around Eve's mother who gave him a look when he smiled, "Who said it was little?"

Eve grimaced and made the man grin at her. She pointed at him and shook her finger, "You know... You certainly would get Father of the Year."

"You think?"

The teenager couldn't help but grin.

Ever since Daniel started dating her mother, Eve kept her distance. She was still hooked on the idea that all men were good for nothing, and would hurt her mother. 

But one year later, Daniel was still around. He even would make an effort to be involved in Eve's interests who later on admitted to her mother during their late night talks that Eve almost called Daniel "dad".