ღChapter Twenty: Pre-Date Jitters

Eve hated to admit it, she really did, but after standing in front of the full-length mirror for two minutes, twirling around to get a good look at herself, she kind of... liked the way she looked.

Bea had done a wonderful job with her hair. There was a whole lot more mousse than Eve was used to, but the hair product curled her brown hair to the very end into perfect ringlets. With the help of a hairdryer and diffuser, of course. Bea pinned back Eve's bangs sideways across her forehead with a metal hair clip. It wasn't the most adorable hairclip, Bea told her, but she pointed out that Garrett would not be looking at her hairclip the whole time.

While the blonde had been busy with Eve's hair, Charlie took charge in the makeup department. Eve had been seated in her desk chair in the middle of her room, still in a t-shirt and jean shorts and was swinging her bare feet a little despite them scraping against the floor with loud 'pit-pats'.

Then Charlie started coming towards her face with an eyelash curler.

"Whoa!" Eve cried, throwing her arms upward to block the girl. 

Charlie was looking straight ahead with her eyelids at half-mast, her arms dropping to her sides. Her seated friend frowned, shaking her head and pointing at the small metallic object in her friend's hand. "No. I do not trust you with that thing!"

Charlie cocked her head to the side, along with her hip. She raised a brow, blinking hard.

"Eve... I know you like to play the tomboy in our little group, but you've seen an eyelash curler before. Bea and I use one everyday. As a matter of fact, almost every woman uses it. So stop it."

Eve shook her head, raising a brow, "I know what it is! And I know you use one, thank you." She pointed at the eyelash curler, scowling, "But I am still not letting you anywhere near my eyes with that thing! You may not remember the eighth grade, Charlie, but I do!" She craned her neck forward. Bea had to lean forward too since she was holding a chunk of Eve's hair in her hands, and Eve turned her head slightly raising a brow, "Ringing any bells?"

Charlie squinted, her eyes looking up at the ceiling as she tried to think over what Eve was referring to. Suddenly, the cheerleader's her face went blank then frowned at Eve.

"Seriously, Eve? The one time I accidently pull out all of my eyelashes, and you are traumatized? It didn't even happen to you! If anyone should be horrified and scarred, it would be me."

Bea and Eve remembered just how "horrified and scarred" Charlie was that morning she had plucked out her eyelashes on accident. 

She had been leaning over her bathroom counter with her hand laid flat on the counter to hold her steady. Only Charlie forgot about wiping down the counter for any water because when she leaned close to the mirror and had already squeezed the two arms of the eyelash curler together, Charlie's hand was resting in a puddle that made her hand go forward, pulling the rest of her with it.

When she recovered from her small stumble, Charlie looked up at the mirror and did a double take. Her eyes widened as she lifted the eyelash curler. Charlie began whimpering at the many tiny eyelashes stuck in the cushion. The whimpering glances from the eyelash curler to the mirror to the curler and back to the mirror turned quickly into sobbing and then a loud scream.

It took Mrs. Barry an hour and a half to soothe her daughter and another half hour to convince Charlie that her lashes would grow back. But Charlie sobbed harder when her brother walked in and snapped a picture of her with his phone. He grinned, looking at his phone he held up.