ღChapter Twenty-Eight: Promises, Promises

As the girls were heading out of the room, catching up to Eve who was impatiently waiting by the stairs, Bea giggled and brought up the pool party. She complimented how fun it was though Eve rolled her eyes. 

Bea grinned, knowing her friend was still annoyed about what happened at the party. She smirked, raising a brow as she glanced at Charlie with a small shrug. "That is until the pool fiasco."

Charlie blinked, looking to Eve who was staring off to the side with a scowl. She internally growled, her lip curling and eyes narrowing.

Eve wanted to kill Gabriel when he shoved her into the pool. She must have drank a pint of chlorine water before she sputtered up to the surface to shout at him. 

Gabriel was standing on the edge with his arms crossed, smirking. He shrugged, sighing, "Sorry, Princess. But you know how the saying goes... Ladies first."

Splashing water at him didn't help because he threw his head back to laugh at her.

"Wait until I get my hands on you, McNeill!" Eve threatened, roughly swiping away strands of wet hair stuck to her cheek.

Gabriel raised a brow, tilting his head with a grin and winked, "Is that a promise?"

Surprised by his words, Eve stared at him, brows furrowed. There wasn't opportunity to read between the lines, however, because standing beside Gabriel, a narrow-eyed gazed Garrett glanced between the two staring at each other... and then shoved his little brother from behind.

"Hey!"

SPLASH!

Eve turned her face away, holding up her arms to block the water spitting at her. Her brows furrowed again, narrowing her eyes at Gabriel once he resurfaced and turned to his older brother to demand what the hell Garrett did that for.

Garrett raised his brows, turning the corners of his mouth downward. "Aw, man! I'm so sorry little bro! My hands... they just... slipped."

Gabriel gave his brother a 'get real' look before making his way back to the edge when Eve's voice made him freeze. "And where do you think you're going, Bucket Head?!"

Gabriel's eyes widened before turning his head to look over his shoulder at Eve already jumping towards him.

"No," Gabriel panicked. "Wait, no!"

But the teenage girl cackled as she took them both under the water.

Bubbles surrounded them as they sunk towards the bottom. Eve was trying to claw at him, but the water slowed her movements, letting her fingers brush against his shoulders. 

Gabriel, meanwhile, had been bracing himself for impact. Gabriel looked at his shoulders, one and then the other, before looking up at Eve and broke into an open mouthed smile. Eve broke out into a laugh when bubbles escaped his mouth. 

Gabriel wiggled his brows up and down with a grin, but Eve narrowed her eyes and shoved the palm of her hand against his face to push herself up to the surface. She took a deep breath and brushed back her wet hair. 

Eve turned around in her spot, searching for Gabriel. She looked up at Garrett by the edge who seemed to be doing the same thing.

Garrett raised his attention to her. "You see him?"

Shaking her head, Eve's gaze scanned the water. She should have known better than to leave Gabriel alone. Eve kicked her legs to turn her body in a full circle, glaring at the water.