ღChapter Twenty-Seven: Charlie's Secret

Bea paced in front of Charlie's bed, laughing and curling the end of her hair around her finger. She kept biting her lip and then releasing it to reply coyly into the phone before biting her lip again. It was a process that had been ongoing for over an hour now.

Eve was lying on her stomach, her hands clasped together over the edge of the bed while Charlie laid beside her. She was flipping through a new magazine that came in yesterday and was too busy folding the corners of pages she'd study a bit more later.

Through narrowed eyes, Eve followed her friend go back and forth, back and forth. 

Bea and Greg had been going out for three months now and their cheesy phone calls to one another were gag-worthy. As if when they were together in person wasn't enough to make Eve bash her head against the wall, Bea used the girls' bonding time to make "a quick phone call".

But Eve and Charlie knew that "quick" ranged from an hour to two.

Continuing her narrowed gaze, Eve counted how many times Bea said the word "Totally" the past ten minutes. So far, it was eight.

"I know! That was totally---"

Nine.

"---Uncalled for! I couldn't believe how that game played out! Or how that Harrison guy did that? Ugh! He's totally---"

Ten.

"--A jerk!! I mean---"

Charlie looked up from her magazine and joined Eve for a moment in following Bea around with their eyes moving in sync to the left, right, left, right. 

Letting out a long sigh through her nose, Charlie turned to the girl beside her. "Eve?"

Still focused on her pacing friend, Eve replied with a "Hm?" and Charlie sighed again. She closed the magazine before tossing it onto the floor. She flipped onto her back to stare at the ceiling. Her hands clasped together on the upper part of her abdomen. 

Charlie narrowed her eyes as she asked, "Would I make a good lesbian?"

Eve turned her head so fast, her neck cracked. She stared at Charlie with wide eyes, her brows furrowed deeply. Bea was still too engaged in her constant chatter to hear.

"What...?" Eve frowned.

When Charlie didn't respond, Eve sat up on her haunches leaning to appear in Charlie's view of staring at the ceiling. Eve raised a brow. 

"Wanna run that by me again, Barry?"

Charlie closed her eyes tightly, a soft breath escaping her lips. She took a moment then opened her eyes to look at her friend.

"I asked if I would make a good lesbian?"

When she was asked why, Eve practically fell off the bed when jerking away from Charlie's suddenly sitting up.

"Ugh!" Charlie let out in a frustrated groan, throwing her hands upward. "Because if I can't have Gabriel than that is what I am choosing to become! But I want to at least know that I have some hope of being successful in chasing lady parts."

Eve scrunched her nose, shaking her head slowly. She raised a brow leaning her head forward, "Chasing... lady parts...? That's certainly one way to put it, Charlie."

Throwing her legs over the edge of her bed and jumping up with clenched fists at her sides, Charlie stomped her foot, "I'm serious, Eve!"

Bea merely glanced in their direction, a slight second of a pause before jumping back into her cheerful chatter with her boyfriend.