ღChapter Thirty-Five: Fight

Eve's eyes widened. She wasn't able to tear her gaze from Conrad's. SHe could feel everyone staring at her and Eve wanted to take a page from Aaron's book and run out of the caferteria.

But Eve had struck a deal with Charlie. If anyone asked her, she had to say 'yes'.  And then appeared Conrad Kingsley, Middleton's newest hot commodity.

Eve internally groaned and slowly looked over her shoulder at Charlie. Her best friend was bouncing in her seat, smiling while nodding her head at Eve. 

The anxious girl looked back to Conrad when he gently squeezed her hands. She looked at their linked hands, blinking stupidly at them.

"Eve?"

She snapped her gaze to Conrad's. He frowned, skimming her face. He then raised his brows, lowering his chin towards his chest.

"Well? Will you go with me?"

Eve swallowed, making a loud gulping noise. She blinked a few times, glancing around and didn't know what to say.

"I... I, um..." Eve bit her lip, chewing it tentatively. Conrad's crooked grin only prolonged her response. She really wished he'd stop smiling like that.

Beside them, Charlie was getting impatient. She wanted to smack Eve behind the head. But she knew her best friend would rip her to pieces. So Charlie did what Charlotte Barry does best.

"She'd love to!" Charlie cheered, jumping up from her chair and running over to stand next to Conrad and Eve.

Charlie scrunched her nose, letting Conrad know that Eve was a little shy. She winked at him. "Boys are a new territory she's exploring."

Conrad chuckled while Eve gasped, "CHARLIE!"

Eve pulled her hands from Conrad's and looked at her tall friend. She scoffed, shaking her head. "You can't just answer for me! How do you know if I even was going to say 'yes'?" 

Conrad blinked, looking at Eve now with a frown. "You were going to say 'no'?"

Eve stared at Conrad. Her face felt hot as she winced, "Well, um... not... uh..."

"Of course she was going to say no! Why the hell would she wanna go with you to the dance?"

Gabriel stood up, his chair screeching against the floor before making his way around the table. Greg jumped up, glancing between his brother and Conrad. 

The younger McNeill brother raised a brow, lifting a finger. "Uh... Gabe?"

Conrad narrowed his eyes, already sizing up Gabriel.

"Oh, you think so... Gabe?"

Gabriel's green eyes narrowed. He and Conrad were now standing nose to nose. 

Greg swallowed, feeling Bea's hand clenching tightly to the hem of his t-shirt. Charlie was wide eyed and had stepped away from the boys.

"Gabe..." Greg tried again. But his brother kept his stare down with Conrad and growled, "Shut. Up, Greg."

Gabriel saw a grin tugging at the corner of Conrad's mouth. The boy's brow rose, giving Gabriel a curious look.

"What's the matter, McNeill? There a reason Eve shouldn't go with me to the dance?"

He raised both brows and waited for a response. When he didn't get one, Conrad took a step closer and Gabriel was rolling his shoulders back, readying himself. But Eve stepped between them, facing Conrad. She held a hand out to his chest to hold him back.