Chapter Fifty-Three: Now We're Even

Madison took off after Greg, questioning him about what was going on. Greg only spat that she would be no help since she didn't like Eve in the first place and would probably tell Greg to not worry about her. But he was pulled to a stop again when Madison's nails dug into his bicep when she grabbed onto him.

Greg blinked, staring at Madison's brown eyes widen under her furrowed brows, asking what was going on with Eve that was causing such panic.

When she wasn't getting anything other than a curious look, Madison squeezed her eyes shut and shouted, "Greg! What. Happened?!"

She huffed, turning along with Greg when Bea ran in and held up her phone. She glanced at Madison and momentarily frowned before looking at her boyfriend and panicked that she got a hold of Eve but that Eve was crying. 

Madison frowned, snatching the phone from Bea and held it to her ear. "Eve? It's Madison."

Bea frowned at her empty hand and looked up at her boyfriend who was squinting over at Madison trying to calm the other girl on the other line. They stood there listening to Eve's mortal enemy calmly nodding and telling Eve that she needed to stop crying in order to understand her better.

Madison stopped talking, frowning as she was listening to whatever was being said. She frowned more, shaking her head in disbelief as Greg and Bea could hear Eve's muffled blubbering.

"Okay! Okay, we're on our way!" Madison looked at the phone and ended the call, tossing it to Bea who leaned forward, stumbling to catch it.

Madison shook her head, insisting they all head over to Charlie's house right away. That Charlie and Eve got into a bad fight. She was already walking to the front door with the couple right on her heels, after Greg had snatched up a set of keys by the stand near the exit of the house. 

Greg asked what Eve said happened, but Madison gave them the shortened version, pulling open the passenger seat.

"Turns out Charlie went home and saw Conrad talking to Eve. Charlie flipped out, going off on Eve about how two-faced Eve was for blowing off Conrad and now that Gabriel wanted nothing to do with Eve, Eve was chasing after Conrad."

Greg narrowed his eyes, flicking on the turn signal as he came to the end of the first block. "But why was she crying? That doesn't seem like something Eve would cry about, Maddie."

Madison nodded, "I know. But then Charlie made a comment about Eve chasing after guys who don't want her and it set Eve off. They got into a nasty fight in the backyard, hitting, punching, you name it." 

The girl frowned, scoffing that Conrad separated the girls and had taken Eve upstairs after telling Charlie to walk it off. Madison felt nauseous when she told the couple that when Conrad took Eve up to her room to help her clean up, Conrad attacked her. The boy tackled her and grabbed a pair of scissors from Eve's desk and started chopping off Eve's hair. 

The car swerved, almost crashing into a hydrant. Greg's sharp swerve spooked an elderly woman with her yipping dog. He looked behind him to see the old woman shaking her fist and shouting inaudibly. He face forward, glancing at Madison as his voice raised, "Did--- Did you just say Conrad cut off her hair?"

Madison raised a brow, her jaw tightening. "I did not stutter, McNeill. You heard correct."

From the back seat, Bea leaned forward gasping and asking why Conrad would do that to Eve. 

The blonde in the front passenger seat shrugged, narrowing her eyes forward. Greg glanced at Madison and inquired why she suddenly had a change of heart about helping Eve. There was silence from the blonde's end, but glancing at her again, Greg could see a soft look on her face.