ღChapter Fifty: Garrett Gets Cornered

ღ 

~The Night Before PART II~

Gabriel stopped, turning around and asked Eve if she would stay put for a moment. Eve squinted, nodding and watched him head over to a waiter across the way. She couldn't hear what was being said but the waiter nodded before Gabriel returned.

"What's going on?" Eve wondered, seeing a waiter different from before heading their way.

Gabriel glanced at her, muttering for her to just give it a second. He swallowed hard, nervously standing by Eve who was looking around, feeling awkward standing in the middle of the table area.

"Mr. McNeill," the waiter offered a nod to Gabriel. "This way please," he gestured for the teenagers to follow him. 

They were led outside where other guests were seated, eating dinner and dancing on the outside floor with twinkling lights hung loosely above from the gazebo top.

Gabriel's nerves were going crazy again as he made a bold move to reach down and take hold of Eve's hand.

Eve blinked, glancing down at this then up at Gabriel. He was staring straight ahead but still hadn't let go of her hand. Eve coyly stared at her feet, grinning to herself when the teenage boy's fingers intertwined with hers.

"Here we are," the chipper waiter announced, gesturing with his hands at a table set for two.

Gabriel nodded, thanking the man and leaned to say something for only the waiter to hear. After the waiter left, Eve asked about their other seats with his family.

"The waiter will take care of it," was all Gabriel replied.

She was surprised by Gabriel walking around the small table to pull out the chair for her. Eve was not surprised when Gabriel lowered a brow and impatiently nodded at the black velvet seat.

"Are you going to sit or what?"

Eve grinned, thinking that that was more of the Bucket Head she knew and sat down. 

They sat quietly, not saying anything until Eve looked at Gabriel and caught him staring at her. She pulled her hands to the seat and gripped the sides of it with her shoulders raised.

Eve was unsure if she should say something but Gabriel beat her to it.

"I wanna dance."

The girl blinked, glancing to the side at the few couples moving from side to side to the female singer on the stage near the back of the gazebo. 

Eve shook her head, scrunching her nose. "I don't think so, McNeill."

"Well, tough. I wasn't asking this time."

Gabriel stood up and walked around to her side. Eve narrowed her eyes, mumbling so that she wouldn't make a scene, that Eve didn't want to dance. That she couldn't

The boy raised a brow, holding out his hand to her and nodded in the direction behind him. When he received another protest, Gabriel leaned down and was almost touching noses with Eve. He shook his head, softly telling her that no one knew her here and that the only person Eve needed to worry about impressing was Gabriel.

"Well that's comforting!" Eve scoffed. "You know you and your brothers are the best dancers at Middleton! Why would you even fathom I'd dance in front of you!"

She added that he'd just poke fun at her.

Gabriel grinned, shrugging a shoulder, "I'm going to make fun of you anyway, Princess. So get up and take my hand, damnit."