Chapter 18 - Don't be so hard on yourself

Luke's POV

It's been a week since the incident with Matt and everything's been fine, he hasn't come looking for me or anything like that so that's good at least. Also I've recovered from all the injuries and I hope I won't get injured again anytime soon because it honestly sucks.

I'm currently at the Orlando Pride Stadium. My sister and Ali played against Washington Spirit today and I didn't wanna miss it.

During the whole game I had my gaze fixed in one specific Washington Spirit's player, and thank god she didn't look my way at any moment because I'm pretty sure that I look like a stalker or something, but I was just mesmerized by how she played and how pretty she was...

Suddenly I heard someone shout my name and I came back to reality.

"Luke! Come on, get down here" Ash said.

I looked around and the stadium was practically empty by now. Wait, when did everyone leave?

I stood up and got down to the field, where Ash and Ali were.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Hey" I heard a voice say from beside me and I looked, startled. I hadn't realized there was someone else.

Wait.

Shit, is her.

"Luke, you there?" Ash teased me, bringing me back to reality, again. I really need to focus more.

"Mm- yes, I- I- hi" I said shyly, looking down and feeling how my cheeks started to burn, hearing her chuckle softly.

"I'm Mallory, but call me Mal" she said and I looked up.

"I- I'm Luke" I said, stuttering a little bit, and avoiding looking at her eyes scared that I would get lost inside them.

"Mm we are going to the locker room cause I forgot something, we'll be back in a bit. Let's go babe." Ali said, looking at Mal and me with a smile that I couldn't figure out what it meant.

After they left we sat on the bench to wait for them, in silence.

Okay, Luke, remember what Christen said, it's okay not to talk all the time and- but what if she thinks I'm boring or what if she's uncomfortable and- no, Luke, chill out, it's okay-

"So, you are Ash's brother, right?" Mal asked me, breaking the silence.

"Mm, yes." I said looking at my shoes.

"I didn't know she had a brother, you guys have another sister, right?" Mal asked. Damn, not this conversation.

"I- not really" I said, a little bit uncomfortable. I don't want to lie to her but I also don't want to come out to her, not right now at least.

"Who is Lucy, then? Ash always talked about a Lucy when we were at camp" she insisted and I just shrugged.

"I don't know"

"Okay?" she said, confused. And the silence surrounded us again.

What do I always have to make things awkward?

Ashlyn's POV

"What did you forget Ali?" I asked her, now in the locker room.

"Oh, nothing" she said and I looked at her confused. "Babe, didn't you realize how Luke acted? He obviously has a crush on Mal"

"Ali, I've known that for years" I told her, and this time she was the one who looked at me confused. "He's been crushing on Mal since forever and I always tease him about it."