Chapter 37 - Family

Luke's POV

I was lying down in my bed thinking about what to do. If I don't quit the job I can't go with Ash and Ali to the world cup... but if I do quit it I won't get the money I need for the surgery and I need to get it as soon as possible. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

Suddenly I heard a knock on my door.

"Luke? We need to talk to you, your boss just called" Ash's voice sounded through the door. Fuck. "We'll wait for you in the living room, don't take too long"

"Shit" I whispered to myself. Did she answer the call? I mean, I guess she did, because if not there would be nothing to talk about.

At the living room

I was sitting down on the couch, right in front of Ash and Ali, who were also sitting down on another couch.

"Okay, first, calm down, Luke. I can sense how nervous you are from here" Ali said jokingly, trying to break the ice.

I let out a sigh and tried to calm down.

"Why did your boss call you by your deadname?" Ash said. Her face was completely serious... I'm scared.

"I- I..." Okay, Luke, calm the fuck down. "I told him that was my name"

"Why?" Ash questioned again. Still completely serious. I want to calm down but she's not making things too easy here...

"Okay, Ash stop scaring him" Ali said, glaring at her. "Luke, whatever it is you can tell us, we won't judge you or get mad, your sister is just worried about you and so am I"

Okay. I guess I'll tell them the truth...

"I couldn't find a job" I said, and they looked at me confused. "Every time I was called to an interview they would check my id and then I had to tell them I was trans. And right after that, they lost all interest in me"

They looked at me finally seeming to understand.

"So you decided to look for a job with your deadname instead of saying you were trans?" Ali asked me and I nodded my head, looking at the floor a bit ashamed.

"Come here" Ash said, signaling me to sit beside her. Right as I sat down she put an arm around me, giving me a side hug. "Why didn't you tell us? We could have helped you find a job where you were treated as yourself. There's a lot of intolerant and stupid people out there but I promise you there's also nice and accepting people. Eventually, I'm sure you would have found a job"

She's right, eventually I would have found a job. But eventually, when? I needed the money as soon as possible, I still do...

"I needed a job as soon as possible" I said, finally deciding to tell them the truth.

"Why?" Ali asked me, confused.

"I- I don't know" I said, shrugging.

"You do know. Tell us, Luke, we want to help you" Ash insisted.

"I needed the money to get top surgery... my chest it's been making me very dysphoric and I- I didn't want you guys to pay for it, you-

"We are paying for it" Ash said immediately.

"No, Ash, I don't want you to. You have done a lot for me already, I don't want to be a bother, I-

"This is not up for debate, Luke. We are paying for it whether you like it or not" Ash said.

Just as I was about to speak again Ali interrupted me.

"We are family, Luke. We want to pay for it. This is for your health, it's not that you want us to buy you a ps4 or something, you want to get surgery because your chest it's affecting your mental health. And working while being misgendered it's probably making you feel even worse. Please, Luke, just let us help you. You are not bothering us, you are family"