Chapter 30 - Sleepyhead

Luke's POV

It was around 11 pm and I had just gotten home from work.

Right as I stepped inside the house I was met with Ash, who was probably waiting for me.

"Hey" I said, smiling softly at her.

"Hey. So? where were you?" she said, going straight to the point.

Time to explain I guess.

"I got a job"

She looked at me and suddenly opened her eyes very wide.

"You said it wasn't illegal Luke, wha-

I quickly cut her off.

"No, no, I don't know what you're thinking but it's a very legal and normal job, I promise" Jeez, why she gotta think so badly about me?

"Oh, oh my god, you scared me for a second. What job did you get then?"

"I work at a convenience store, I had to close today so that's why I came so late" I explained and she let out a sigh of relief.

"Why didn't you tell me before, Luke?"

"I don't know" I said, not looking at her and shrugging.

"Luke, are you hiding something?"

"I- no" I quickly said.

I heard her let out a frustrated sigh before speaking.

"I'm going to act like I believe you even though I definitely think you're lying to me. Anyways, go to bed, we have a visit tomorrow morning and it would be nice if you didn't look like a zombie, although I think that by now that can't be fixed, can it?" she said, mocking me.

"Ha ha, very funny" I said sarcastically. "Who is coming?"

"Your crush" she said, winking at me playfully. "I'm going to sleep and you should too, goodnight"

She made her way to her room and I stayed there without moving for a second.

Mal is coming...?

The day after

I was woken up by a knock on my door.

Ugh. What time is it?

I looked at my phone screen. 11 am.

Wait, 11 am?! Shit.

"Luke, can we come in?" Ali's voice sounded through the door.

We as in her and Ash or as in her and Mal?!

"N-no, just a minute!" I shouted, quickly getting dressed and putting on my binder.

I went to the bathroom and washed my face right before brushing my teeth.

I looked at the mirror.

"Shit. My hair is a mess" I said to myself.

"Luke?" I heard Ali's voice again.

"You can come in!" I said as I left the bathroom and put on a beanie. That should work.

Not even a few seconds later Ali and Mal came in.

"Hey sleepyhead" Mal said jokingly.

"W-what do you mean? I was awake. Just, you know, busy" I said, trying to act cool but not succeeding.

Mal let out a laugh, obviously not believing me.

"Whatever you say" she said, shaking her head.