1.4: Family Reunion

We Don't Have To Dance by Andy Black

Henley's P.O.V

Months have passed since I found out about my cheating ex and my rekindled friendship with Duff.

Madeline officially started dating Jack about a month ago, which she's super happy about. I can say that nearly everyone has expressed their happiness to the new couple, even Damon who's normally out of the loop on these kinds of things. We don't tell him a lot.

Veronica, however, has been more moody than usual. I'm guessing it's because Jack's attention isn't completely focused on her anymore. God, I wish she'd take her head out of her ass and realize that he's happy. That's all that matters.

We leave for tour tomorrow and everyone is out at some hot party. I, on the other hand, decided to use tonight to spend time on my own. I'm gonna be stuck with them on a tiny bus for months on end. I think tonight should be spent by myself. I decided to go down to the Whiskey to celebrate. I just enjoyed listening to the up and coming band on the stage. They sound really good.

"Excuse me," A voice says from behind me.

I turn around, not sure who it could be. I don't recognize the voice, so maybe I'm in someone's seat? I look at the person in front of me. He has bright blue eyes and dark black hair that's cut short on the sides, but long on the top. From the tank top he's wearing I can see many of his tattoos that cover his arms. He has one ear piercing, but he has a kind face. Something about him is familiar.

I smile at him. "Can I help you?"

"Are you Henley Baxter?" He asks, taking a seat on the stool next to me.

I take a sip of the vodka I ordered, nodding my head. "Yep, that's me. You a fan or something?"

"You don't recognize me?" He says, looking hurt. I feel really bad.

"No, I'm sorry. What's your name?"

"Nico Baxter," He says with a small smile.

My eyes widen. "Oh my God! Nico I didn't recognize you!" I stand on my feet and throw my arms around him. I hug him tight, and he returns the gesture. "I'm so sorry!" I pull back to look at him. "You've grown up so much! I don't think you even hit puberty before I moved out, let alone left Seattle!"

He laughs, "It's okay. I guess I do look a lot different than from when we were kids." I let him go and sit back down on the stool.

"And you're a hell of a lot taller. Your voice has gotten very deep!" He laughs at my excited tone. "Anyways, how've you been? How's mom and dad? Were they mad after I moved out?"

Nico smiles at my many questions. "I've been good. And I wouldn't know. I left home when I turned seventeen. I couldn't stand to be around them anymore. They really didn't notice when you left. They kept on with their normal schedule of hating each other and fighting every night. When you left they put all the pressure on me to be the perfect child. If I did anything that they didn't like, their immediate response was, 'Do you really want to end up like your sister?' They made it sound like you died. For a long time I thought you were. However, when I left home and came here, I saw you on magazines and things like that. I was just happy to know you were alive."

I smile at him. "So you're not angry with me for leaving?"

He shrugs, looking down at the glass of bourbon he brought over with him. "I was for a long time. I hated you, even. As I got older I realized why you did it, and I wasn't angry with you anymore. In fact, I was proud that you had the guts to get out of there. I just missed having my older sister around."

I frown, putting my hand on top of his. "I'm really sorry, you know? I didn't mean to hurt you and it was a very rash decision. I don't know what made me do it, but in the end I think it's the best decision I could have made."

"You moved in with your boyfriend, didn't you? Are you still with him?" Nico asks.

I shake my head. "No. He cheated on me while I was still in Seattle. That's what made me move to Los Angeles. I got another boyfriend, but I found out a few months back that he cheated on me too. Now I'm back in contact with my first ex," I laugh, thinking through my situation. Am I dumb to be willing to give Duff another chance? I shake my head, clearing those thoughts for later. "What about you, little bro? Any special girl in your life?"

He smiles, a blush creeping onto his cheeks. "Yeah actually. I've been talking to this girl named, Daire. She's pretty cool. I'll have you guys meet sometime."

"That's gonna be a while," I laugh.

"Why?"

"My band and I are going on tour with Motley Crue. Not just the American leg, either. The entire thing!"

"How long are you going to be gone?" He asks, sadness in his voice.

I shrug. "I'm not sure, actually. We're leaving tomorrow morning." I note the sad look on his face. "I'll try my best to keep in touch, though. Give me your number and I'll call you as often as I can."

Nico nods with a smile on his face. He asks the bartender for a pen. He quickly writes his number down onto my napkin which came with my vodka and hands it to me. He opens his mouth to speak, but a loud male voice calls him back over to his table.

"I gotta go, but I'll see you when you get back, right?" He asks, hugging me.

"Of course," I respond, just enjoying the feeling of being around my brother again.

He lets go and returns to his group. I look at the clock on the wall and figure that I'd better get some sleep before tomorrow. I pay the bartender and walk to my apartment.

The entire way home, Duff was on my mind. And if I'm making the right decision.