I love you

"You have a beautiful home Mrs Molefe", Ashley said as she put mascara on the older lady. "Thanks darling. How come I've never seen you before? You're so lovely", the lady had asked as she tried not to make movements. "Oh, I've only just recently met the group. I met Siya on campus, he introduced me to everyone", the younger girl said smiling as her thoughts lingered to her boyfriend. "Oh how is my baby Siya? Haven't seen him this whole year", she said moving her head slightly so the girl had better access to her eyebrows. " You know school has been rather hectic but I'm afraid I can't make excuses for him. Surely he could've come by to check on you. I give you permission to scold him today when you see him", the two ladies laughed.

They spoke about school, Christmas, family, summer and even about the group. The one thing that had interested the younger girl most was how Siya had been so close to the family. She learned how Dineo had always been there for the handsome boy and how she would've done anything for him, no matter the cost. Ashley knew that the girl had feelings for her boyfriend but she didn't know they had been through so much together. She all of a sudden couldn't blame the girl for being into her boyfriend. With all the time they'd spent together it was inevitable. She wondered if Siya knew.

The girl felt a tightness in her chest at the realization. She'd known Siya had been in a few relationships prior to them meeting and she couldn't help but feel sad for the girl. She couldn't imagine what she must've been through. To top it all off she had taken a liking to her. Sure the start hadn't been that smooth for the two girls but they had slowly started to become friends. Was she being a good friend by continuing with the relationship knowing what she knew now? She decided she was going to have a talk with Siya.

That evening Ashley decided to pull her boyfriend to the side. They had all been sitting and conversing but her head was pounding with all the new found information and she just couldn't wait anymore. She had to say something before she exploded.

As soon as the pair moved away from the group, Ashley couldn't help it as tears started sliding down her cheeks at the realization that she might need to end the relationship. "Hey baby, what's wrong?", Siya had asked as he moved closer to the girl to give her a hug. "Babygirl come down.", he continued softly when her sobs got louder and uncontrollable. "I- I I'm sorry ... I just I'm really hhsjdi", she mumbled incoherently but the boy just hugged her tighter wanting her to not say anything until she was calm.

When the pair had met earlier that year the boy was smitten. They were attending one of the lectures they'd shared. She had raised her hand to answer a question that was asked and he was pretty sure time froze at that moment. The boy was really smart but he had pretended not to be so the girl could tutor him. She was happy to. She had seen him around campus a few times with his friends, he was one of the popular kids.

She had also recently gotten out of a long term relationship and the last thing she needed was to get into another one of those. He'd understood when she eventually told him and he waited patiently for her.

"I don't think I can do this anymore. She really likes you Siya", the girl had said after calming herself down. "You guys have been through so much together and I just can't compete with that", the girl finished. Siya knew who his girlfriend was talking about. He had always known in the back of his mind but he was in denial about it. "I love you", he'd blurted out. "I've never felt the way I do about anyone else. Dineo is great, shit she's amazing. But my heart wants you! Only you Ash", the boy finished. Never in his life had he ever told a girl he loved her. Ashley had stolen his heart. "I promise you I will talk to Dineo, but what I will not do is lose you", he said now looking into her blue/greens. "I love you too", Ashley said returning the intense gaze the boy was giving. The pair shared a kiss like no other they'd shared before. They were in love.

A few moments later Siya had decided he was going to have the conversation with the other girl then. After all, when was going to be a good time to tell the girl who liked him he didn't feel the same way? Sure it was her mother's birthday but he thought she was in a good mood so maybe the blow wouldn't be too hard.

"You know the first time I met your dad I thought he didn't like me", Siya said to Dineo. They had moved away from the group after he'd asked her for a word. "He used to scare me shits until I learned he was a big sweet cuddle bear", the boy continued. "Yea, he was like that with everyone", the girl said softly as a smile made its way on her face. "He always used to say you can find out a lot about a person when they don't think you like them", the girl said now looking at nothing in particular in deep thought. "I know I'd only known him for two years before he passed but you share a lot of his qualities. You're stubborn as hell for one", the boy joked earning a punch from the girl.

The two friends stood in comfortable silence for what seemed like forever. "You know I love you right?", Siya had started. "You are the greatest friend anyone could ever ask for, I'm really lucky to have you in my life Dee.", the boy finished. Dineo felt a familiar pain in her stomach. "You know?", she asked barely audible. "I've known for a while to be honest. I thought if I ignored it it'll go away", the boy said honestly now looking at the girl. "I'm in love with Ashley. But you hold a special place in my heart Dineo. You always have and you always will", the boy stated. "I know", Dineo said now looking back at the boy with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. The love of her life knew how she felt. He didn't feel the same way. It wasn't the best news but maybe it was enough for her to finally move on.