Different people.

On a hot summer day in 2003, young Vickie had made a friend. She'd met the girl on the first day of the first grade and they'd been inseparable. Young Nathan had also made friends, a lot of them. But friends were supposed to stay at school right? Why did Vickie's friend come to play with her at home too? She came on weekends and she played with his sister in their play room. That didn't sit well with him.

Nathan hated the girl so much that one day he'd pushed her down the slide where her head had met the ground. The fact that he got in trouble for it only made him hate her even more. The twins started making other friends together at school but Vickie and Dineo only got closer with time. She took his sister away from him. There were not enough words in the world to describe the hostility he felt towards the girl.

The anger, bitterness and malice all came back as he stared down at the older version of the girl in disdain. He knew better than to hit a woman back but he'd never felt so much desire to do so before in his life. He didn't care who she was, no one ever puts their hands on him without suffering the consequences. So he looked dead in the girl's eyes and said, "You know why no one wants you? Because you're fucking ugly. You will never be good for anyone. Every guy you want is always gonna want someone BUT you. Don't believe me? Ask Siya", then turned on his heels to leave the club with the boys trailing behind him.

"Are you okay?", Bongi had asked Dineo after seeing the hurt in her eyes at what had just transpired. She knew the girl was stubborn but she was never one to physically harm anyone so she must've really been angry. They all were.

Bongi knew Nathan didn't mean any of the things he'd said to Dineo. He was acting on impulse. But judging by the look on the girl's face, she believed every word.

Dineo gave a sly smile then nodded at Bongi as she made her way to Mariska who was now sitting upright looking at the whole scene unfold. "We should go", Preshani finally said ignoring all the looks they'd been getting.

So with their heads held high, they helped their friend up then made their way out of the club.

As the girls silently waited for their uber to arrive, they'd felt a deep sense of realization. That things as they knew them would never be the same again.

The group had fought before, more than a few times. But it had never gotten to that point. It had never ever gotten physical before. They'd always find their way back to each other. But in that moment, they'd all had a feeling it was really the end of a life long friendship.

When the boys arrived at the mansion, Nathan made his way straight to his dad's cellar where he made sure to get the strongest bourbon. He made his way back into the kitchen where his two friends had been seated, helping themselves to some snacks.

Ramsey, Tyrone and Nathan had decided to go out earlier that evening. The group was supposed to all go out to commemorate their first day back at school. They'd all planned it in December after they'd promised they were going to try to spend more time together.

Siya had cancelled to spend the day with his girlfriend. Connor was busy with surfing tournaments, Mike had a gig off campus and the girls? Well they hated their guts and wanted nothing to do with them.

So the three of them had gone out to have a good time. The last thing they'd expected was not only to see the girls but to literally run into them.

"I did fucken everything for the bitch", Nathan started as he poured himself a glass of the alcohol beverage, then passed it around so his friends could do the same.

"I fucken risked my relationship so many times just so she could... just so she could be happy and this is how she thanks me?", he said feeling the rage radiating from within.

"Yea, you think you really know someone after knowing them for years then they just stab you in the back", Tyrone said as he took his first swing of the bourbon.

"Cheers to new beginnings Gents! I always felt they were holding us back anyways", Ramsey said as he raised his glass.

Weeks passed and months did too. Neither side made effort to reach out to the other. They'd occasionally bumped into each other both individually and in groups, they were complete strangers. At least they'd acted that way.

Bongi and Ramsey shared every module of their actuarial sciences course but they'd both become pros at completely ignoring each other. Mariska and Tyrone acted like they never even knew each other. They'd both made other friends and moved on with their lives. Connor had chosen the boys by default, he was closer to them anyways.

Siya was the only one who hadn't chosen a side. He was cool with both the girls and the boys but the separation was driving him crazy. He'd constantly felt the pressure from both sides to choose. He didn't want to. Because of the pressure he'd then stopped hanging out with them. Opting to just spending most of his days with Ashley.

Eventually even the two groups started falling apart. There was no malice there though. They just became different people, met different people and had different interests. Mariska, Preshani and Dineo were still staying together but lived different lives.

While Mariska had become Miss popular on campus, Preshani was deep into her studies and her confusing relationship with Mike. Dineo had been occupied with her new relationship.

Nathan made friends with other campus rich kids and he'd joined their weird, uptight circle. It was funny because he'd always made fun of them but now he was even dressing like them.

It went on like that for a while.