R.I.P

Bruno shifted through a crowd of mourners as he made his way to the coffee station at the end of the hall. He whispered a couple of 'I'm sorrys' as he bumped into a bunch of people who were comforting each other. He hadn't been at a lot of funerals before in his life but that was the most people he'd ever seen at one. He sighed when he finally reached the table then extended his arm to grab the last mug but a hand was already on it.

"Oh sorry, didn't see you there", he apologized after slightly touching the girl's hand then offered her a sanitizer. "Oh no, it's ok thanks. I've actually got one on me", she responded as she took out the small bottle out of her purse. "Ahh Purrell. Now I get it", he said as they both chuckled. "You can never be too trusting with these other brands y'know?", she said now putting a bit of the substance on the boy's hand. "Yeah we're living in scary times", he responded as he applied the sanitizer.

Bruno couldn't help but smile at that. It frustrated him how people had been going around living like they weren't still in the middle of a viral pandemic. Yes it had been months but it was still killing people. He didn't even want to go to the funeral but he needed to say goodbye to his old friend.

"I'm Bruno", he had said as the girl put away the bottle. "Mariska. Nice to meet you", she responded smiling through her mask. "Well Mariska you're very welcome to have the last mug", he said. "I mean I've already touched it so..", she responded as they shared another laugh. "So how did you know him? Varsity?", the girl asked as she prepared tea for herself. "No. I'm actually an old friend. From like baaack in the day", he said in exaggeration. "Oh, me too. How come we've never met before?", she asked as they moved away from the coffee station.

He was about to answer the girl when, "Bruno?!", Preshani exclaimed. "I cannot believe my eyes right now", she continued to say almost going in for a hug but stopped herself, they both chuckled at that. " I saw you coming in and I thought you looked really familiar. How long has it been now? 10 years?", she asked excitedly. "Yea, just about. You look great Shani", he complemented cautiously as he eyed the tall figure behind her.

"Oh, this is my friend Mike", she said a short awkward silence later. "Nice to meet you Mike", Bruno said sweetly but Mike just stared at him blankly. "Oh sorry, hi Mariska. I didn't know you guys knew each?", Preshani questioned a moment later after realizing she hadn't acknowledged the girl. "We've actually just met. He was about to tell me how he met ..", she trailed off not wanting to mention their deceased friend. She then put her cup of tea on a nearby table after deciding not to drink it. Too much corona in the air she thought.

"Well years ago. Bruno here was a part of the group. One of the original members. He then decided to leave us to go live in the states. Taking my heart with him", Preshani half joked looking at her first love. "I mean that's a bit exaggerated but yea, that's pretty much what happened", he said with a chuckle.

"Oh, you guys dated?", Mariska asked moments later. "I mean we more than 'just dated'", Preshani responded now looking at Bruno as he looked back at her. The short moment was disturbed by Mike excusing them and basically dragging her outside.

"Ok you made your point! How many times do I have to apologize?", he had asked when they were away from everyone. The girl was punishing him for how he'd been treating her all those years. At least that's how it felt.

A year ago, Preshani decided she wasn't going take Mike's nonsense anymore. For years he had been treating her like she was nothing. He just dragged her along not even wanting to give her a title. She took it. She thought that one day he would realize that they belonged together, he never did. So she'd decided to move on. It wasn't easy at first but she remained strong.

About four months ago the boy had reached out to her. He told her that he was miserable without her, that he loved and needed her. Those were words she would've given anything to hear. Years ago. He was a little too late.

"This is not about you Mike! I am burying my friend today. We're not gonna do this!", Preshani said sternly then walked away, leaving the boy behind.

When she got back into the hall everyone was preparing to go to the cemetery. She closed her eyes and took a breath to stop the tears from spilling down her cheeks as reality set in. She was never going to see the boy ever again.

"My brother was my hero. He was a hero to everyone he met", the little girl began as tears spilled down her face. They'd been at the cemetery and she was the last speaker on the program. "He was always the life of the party and the person everyone would go to whenever they were feeling down. He was a light in the dark, never sad or angry. He was there for every one of us. But we failed him! He was miserable and none of us knew, because we only cared about what he did for us. I failed you brother and I'm so sorry", the little girl finished then fell down crying as the casket went down the dirt. Taking the boy with it.

Everyone barely kept it together when they were listening to the young girl.

Connor Mason was everyone's friend. There was never a dull moment when he was around. He was everyone's shoulder to cry on but no one knew he too needed to lean on someone.

That's why everyone was in shock when the news broke out that he'd taken his own life.

Everyone assumes you're fine when you're always the one comforting others.