Hamilton

I reach my room and sit down on the couch and relax. I reach for the remote and turn the TV on. It shows a news report, depicting an event happening in this country called Iran. It shows footage of a group of oddly-dressed people wearing something around their face with machine guns and assault rifles. I shrug my shoulders at first. Suddenly I see footage of children living on the streets and some who are bruised and injured. My fist clenches so hard that I break the remote. My eyes turn red in anger and I stare at a wall and blast it with my heat vision in a burst of rage. Then I turn my heat vision off and take a deep breath. I hear a knock at the door.

"Leave me alone, Lane!" I yell.

"It's not Lane," a voice replies.

I recognize that voice and I head to the door and open it.

"Dr. Hamilton? Do you need something?" I ask.

"No I just came to talk, Clark," Dr. Hamilton replies.

I walk from the doorway and he follows me.

"Please take a seat," I say, pointing at the couch.

We sit on the couch and Doc stares at me in awe. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

"You alright, Doc?"

"Oh sorry, it's just that I have never been this close to an alien before. It's so exciting!" He yells.

He begins jumping up and down. I grab his shoulders, attempting to calm him down.

"Being an alien is not as exciting as you think, Doc," I exclaim.

"And why do you think that? There are millions of people around the world who would want to know about you! You are special!"Doc says, pulling out a sandwich and eating it.

I contemplate on what he is saying.

"That does sound intriguing, Doc. But why did you and General Lane really want to recruit me?" I ask.

"We believe that with enough training, you can be a hero! Someone who helps people around the world."

"A hero? Me? I don't think you understand but I am no hero."

"Not yet, maybe. But I believe in you."

"It's not that I don't believe in myself. I just don't understand why humans deserve my protection. I mean I have seen what they do and it makes me angry. They are greedy and selfish beings who only care about doing the right thing when it benefits them."

"That's not true for all of us. Yes, a lot of us are a**holes but there are also kind and loving people. You just need to see the good in them. What about the bad people? They should be punished for their evil ways! They should be killed!"

"That's for you to decide but all I want to say to you is that you have the potential to be the greatest hero this world has ever seen!"

"So what is your story, Doc? Where did they find you?"

"I use to work for a company called LexCorp. The head of the company is a man named Lex Luthor. He is one of the most ruthless businessmen in the world. He has driven his competitors to bankruptcy and has bought thousands of smaller businesses. I thought I could make a difference working for him, but then I discovered just how ruthless he is. When I left LexCorp, he didn't want me to leave so he blackmailed me and threatened to have my family killed. I turned to anyone who I could find. I managed to escape from his forces. However, it cost me my-my-my-"

He begins to break down and sob.

"I am so sorry, Emil. I wish I could do something."

"You don't have to. Lane found me and helped me get Lex off my back. In return, I became a military scientist."

"At least you were able to turn your life around."

"Yeah I have. Get some sleep. We begin the next part of your training tomorrow."

Doc gets up from the couch and walks away. Before he heads out the door, he stops.

"Oh before I forget, I have something for you."

He throws me a small metal trinket. It contains the House of El logo.

"Just thought you might want it."

He continues walking out the door. I study the trinket.

"A hero? Me? Are they crazy?"