Corben

I take off my uniform and take a sit at a table in a bar, drinking a cup of beer. This drink is irresistible. I can see why people enjoy it so much. The whole bar is empty except for me.

"Hey, Superman!" A voice says.

I turn to the side and see John Corben standing.

"Do you mind if I sit?"

"Not at all."

John pulls up a chair and sits.

"That was a mission, Superman."

"Please John. Just call me Clark whenever we aren't on missions."

"Fine by me. So what made you join the Army?"

"I was recruited by General Lane. He persuaded me to use my powers to help others."

"Has it been worth it yet for you?"

"I am still unsure. Yeah it feels great. The respect and admiration. But I feel like I am being depended on too much."

"You are one of the best soldiers in our unit."

"Yeah but that's only because I am an alien with extraordinary powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. It's the soldiers without powers who deserve the most respect and praise. They are the real heroes."

"Maybe you are right. But you are still pretty badass! The way you took down those terrorists is nothing short of awesome!"

"Don't forget to do your part though. I don't want you or them to expect me to fly in and save the day all of the time."

"We don't. We can still hold our own!"

John turns to the front and pulls out his phone. The screen displays a picture of a woman and a little girl.

"Is that your family?"

"Was," he replies in a melancholic voice.

I realize what he means and look down in sadness.

"Oh, I am sorry."

I sit and drink in silence for a moment.

"It was Monday morning. I was off duty and talking to them when suddenly the door was slammed wide open. Two men entered the room and my wife started screaming. Then the screen went black. When I got home my friend told me that they were-they were-" he says, as tears begin to fall out of his eyes.

I place my hand on his shoulder.

"I am so sorry."

"That's why I look to heroes like you. You inspire me to be better and push past the darkness."

"I wish I could take the credit but a lot of it comes from you. Instead of dwelling in self-pity you have used your loss to motivate you to be better. You are your own hero."

John smiles.

"Thanks, Clark."

General Lane enters the bar.

"It's time."