09| M A S Q U E R A D E

___________

-Masquerade-
/ˌmɑːskəˈreɪd,ˌmaskəˈreɪd/

(a.n) be disguised or passed off as something else.

______

J E N N I E
_____________

Seoul, South Korea
6:59 p.m.

"Hey Ella, can you zip me up?" I asked, turning my back to her

"Whoa, you look like a princess." Ella exclaimed, her eyes dazzling with excitement.

"Pfft, I could never." I scoffed, flicking my wrist.

"How are you getting home?" Irene asked in concern.

"A cab. I won't get drunk, I'll be sober enough to get home safe." I answered, clipping my earing closed.

I meet some of my colleagues at the entrance, and when Harry spots me, his mask pushed back over his long dark chocolate, curly hair. I smile with a wave.

"You look lovely tonight," he says, smiling gracefully, sporting the indents in his flushed cheeks.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I hummed magnetically.

Harry laughs, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Why's it that women always say that?"

"Why is that men always ask so much questions?" I playfully counter.

Harry rolls his eyes, the corner of his lip lifted in a smirk. He leans in, closing the gap between us. "You look mysterious behind that mask, Jennie." he says huskily into my ear.

"I believe that that's the purpose." I replied with a friendly shove, making some space between the both of us. I brought his mask over his eyes. "Now you're mysterious too, Zorro."

Harry and I dance for a short while and we share some words between each other. I've learnt that he could be a good friend, maybe a lover, then again, maybe not.

I tell Harry that I'll be back in a minute when I'm called to the mic, to receive my acknowledgements for my contributions to the development plan of our new project.

I thank everyone who gave me an opportunity to learn from them and the gaps they've given me, that isn't given everyday. It takes a lot to get that privilege and it still feels unrealistic that I've been this fortunate to be where I am today. The attendants all clap hands, glasses raised after my toast.