Chapter 4

Don't cry because it's over

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

The summer in Chicago was a lot hotter than the summers in England. Then again, I had never known another place that could match England for the amount of rainfall in summer. Apparently Chicago was the perfect contender.

Today was one of those days in June when the rain poured in endless streams from the sky. I had been out walking with Elizabeth, shopping in the busy town, when it started to rain.

Now, we hurried through the streets trying to get home as dry as possible. Elizabeth had her parasol, but I never had a need for such a thing. Even in constant sun my skin would never change from its fair complexion. I didn't even get freckles across my nose. So as we ran I enjoyed the way the warm rain hit my face and soaked through to my skin. I luxuriated in the feel of every pin prick droplet as it splashed against me. Somehow the feeling of them on my skin made me feel more connected to the world than usual.

I hadn't felt the tension in me for three months now but that didn't mean that I felt complete or that I was really here. The idea that I could slip away at any moment bothered me, especially now that I really felt settled.

Although the Masens weren't my real family I thought of them as my dearest friends and companions, just like Carlisle had been or still was.

Elizabeth had spent many hours with me just refining my etiquette, since my time with Carlisle had left me a little rough around the edges. She fed me up to fill out my skinny frame, bought me pretty dresses, and taught me about what it meant to be a young lady in society. She treated me like the daughter she didn't have but also as one of her many friends. I knew when I grew up I wanted to be just like Elizabeth. Her kind nature warmed everyone to her, but her intelligence and wit was what kept people fascinated. It was the reason why she was a favourite among the upper classes she socialised with.

Mr Masen, though not as close to me as Elizabeth, was a great teacher. He was often busy with his law firm, but when he wasn't he would sit with me and we would play chess, read, discuss things that were happening in the country. He took me from being just an ignorant child to a miniature adult who could understand the world around them. It was because of him that I accepted the curse that had been placed on me. Although I had only jumped time twice, I knew it would happen again. No matter where I settled or laid down roots, a day would always come when I would fade from that place and be taken to somewhere new. To a time I may not understand.

With the acceptance of my ability- though that suggested it was voluntary- I began to plan, save, and horde. A few of the pretty dresses Elizabeth bought me were never in the wardrobe hanging up but instead packed in a bag which I carried with me always. Elizabeth never understood my need to carry such a large bag with me, but I knew that I could fade away at any moment so it made sense for them to always be with me.

It wasn't just clothes that hid in the battered hessian bag, along with the clothes there were various things I had gathered: a blanket, soap, money, and a small picture of the Masens.