Chapter 52

I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate - Vincent Van Gogh

I swiftly ditched my bag as soon as I felt myself solidify on a hard wooden floor. The jumps weren't thrilling to me anymore, and the arrivals to new places had become like a routine. I didn't waste any time before opening my eyes to a rustic looking room that, although it held no bed, seemed to be a bedroom of sorts. Bookshelves and wardrobes stood in the room along with a luxurious chaise longue which was situated near to a wide sash window.

The sky outside was dimming with a setting sun, and my eyes lingered uncomfortably on the bloody colour that spilt across the sky. The scene was so familiar to me, and I hugged myself as I remembered the unnerving feeling that had filled me last time I had gazed upon such a sight.

I stood and looked upon the brilliant sunset that bathed the sky in a vivacious red hue as it peeped out over the surrounding expensive, Edwardian, stone houses.

The way the red spilled across the sky was beautiful but strangely unnerving. I couldn't help but see the way it resembled the intense colour of blood where it mixed with the darkening atmosphere.

This sunset didn't fill me with wonder as all the other's had; instead this one sent chilling imagery racing through my mind.

Something wasn't right, and a feeling stirred in me made me think it never would be.

The same feeling from the memory soaked through me now, and I gazed around the darkening room for some sign of danger.

I relaxed from my tense state when my eyes clarified that there was nothing to be afraid of. This new place was just an empty room in a house which was obviously absent of inhabitants at the moment. I sighed in relief, but it was soon cut short as my body was swept up into a bear hug that squished the breath out of me.

"SARELLE!" I knew that voice and the memory of its owner made my face split into a wide grin as I opened my shocked eyes.

"Emmett!" I gasped, and as he spun me I noticed Rosalie standing with a small smile playing on her stunning face. "What are you doing here? Are you living here now? Where is everyone?" The questions left my mouth in a rush as Emmett released me grinning.

"You've missed a lot, Saz. It's been over half century since you last popped up." Emmett's face was still filled with a smile but a glance at Rose told me that although I'd missed a lot, it wasn't necessarily anything good.

I felt a chill when I realised only Rose and Emmett were here. It was possible that the others were out hunting, but there was something about the vibe they both gave off that told me that the separation ran deeper.

Something else that Emmett said caught my attention.

"What's the date?" I asked, it was a simple question, but I had to know if whether I was standing in a time before or after Bella and Edward's wedding. Considering that they had said they hadn't seen me in fifty years I had a feeling that it was a pre-wedding jump.

"20th March 2006. This is a house belonging to our friends. We're waiting 'til our new house is ready since we've moved," Rosalie said in a factual voice. I didn't know what my feelings were about knowing Edward wasn't married to Bella, although their wedding was only a few months away. Either way, I couldn't focus on the confusion brewing inside me; instead I found my mind pondering the situation here. There was something bothering Rosalie and it showed through her mask like exterior.

She always hid her true feelings beneath a front of boredom and arrogance. It was something I had learnt when I first met them all together. We may not have been as close as Alice and I, but we still had a connection. We came from a similar time and so had similar dreams. We shared the pain of knowing that those dreams were impossible to have. There was also the bond we had through our experience of the vile and horrific things men could do to an innocent girl. She may have suffered much worse than me, but I was still left with the chilling memories that would run through my head at the worst times, she had the relief of the change blurring the finer details.