Chapter 34

Love is when you shed a tear and still want him, it's when you sacrifice everything you are just to ease his pain, it's when he loves another girl but you still smile and say 'I'm happy for you'

My world steadied, and I felt the familiar feeling of spongy grass beneath my white ballet flats while reaching tendrils of flora tickled the bare skin on my legs. I could smell the definite fragrance of a summery forest - fresh, floral, and slightly musky.

My eyes squinted as I adjusted to the bright light surrounding me. When the light spots cleared from my vision I saw that I was standing in a small clearing hidden a few metres into a forest, which seemed to surround a large white house. The setting was beautiful.

The light showed it was around late afternoon and soon the dim sunlight, which backlit the fluffy clouds, would bathe the sky in the orange glow of twilight. The clearing I stood in would be pooled in golden light and the small patches of meadow flowers would be tainted with a rosy hue.

I peered out between the few trees in front of me to see the house better. It was perfectly hidden amongst the trees to give its residence some privacy. A winding driveway disappeared from view and I assumed it led to civilisation. I looked around the scene in front of me. Cars filled the driveway in front of the pretty house, and I wondered for a second what I had jumped into. As I stood anxiously watching the house in front of me a blue suburban car drove up to the house and parked awkwardly in front. I should have known the passengers wouldn't be adults by their driving, so I almost expected the five teenagers as they bundled out of the car and made their way up the wrap around front porch.

They were dressed in relatively formal attire, the girls in pretty dresses and the boys in suits of varying colours. I sighed when I saw that one of the boys had attempted and failed to do his tie correctly. That was never a mistake that Edward would make, but then again he was refined to the point of near physical perfection.

I looked down at my own outfit and smiled in relief. I stood wearing my pale pink silk summer dress as it flowed prettily over my body and stopped just above my knees. I sniffed the material and was pleased that it didn't hold any unpleasant odour. It somehow still gave off the faint and fresh smell of the meadow even after being washed. I was glad it still smelt like the place of my departure from Edward.

I bit my lip against the pain of the memory. I had to hold on to the hope that I would see him again.

I propped my bag against one of the nearby trees. I couldn't take it with me because if this was the formal event that it seemed to be, then my bag would seem rather out of place. I crept towards the house and took a quick look back at the small clearing my bag sat in. It wouldn't be a risk of discovery here. It was a few metres in from the driveway, and I doubted anyone would stumble upon it.

My flat shoes crunched on the gravel as I made my way towards the large front door.

I didn't know why I was here but then when had my jumps ever had a reason? I had spun from one place to another and somehow it had all worked out.