Chapter 11

I stood silently whilst Casey caught up with her friends

I stood silently whilst Casey caught up with her friends. They didn't notice me and they didn't introduce themselves. I just waited like the invisible girl hoping that Casey would notice my discomfort.

She didn't, not in the good ten minutes that I shifted awkwardly around the group looking for a place to settle and attempt an introduction. I felt rejected and a fool for thinking that she had brought me here because she liked me and wanted her other friends to know me.

I was just someone new who had caught her attention by being a little different to the people she socialised with. I stood out for the wrong reasons and so I had attracted her eyes like a magpie to a shimmering object.

Only Casey had realised I wasn't really a pretty luminescent object of value, just a piece of reflective rubbish that happened to capture her attention for a split second. Now she had gotten a closer look she had realised I wasn't worth her time and like a magpie would discard unworthy debris, she had cast me aside to blend into the bland concrete environment.

Unwanted and Unnoticed.

Casey continued to buzz around the group as they laughed and talked. She was like a social butterfly. She never stuck around in a conversation for more than a few moments of speech before her attention would be pulled in another direction. She put the same amount of bubbly energy into each conversation, stunning the person she talked with into thinking that they had her glued to the riveting conversation when in reality I could see her eyes already flitting to find something better.

Something, her brain obviously told her, would be more thrilling than what she was already doing. Just watching her she seemed to constantly be in a state of seeking for satisfaction and appreciation. Every compliment she gave was really a way for her to fish for her own praise. Each question she asked was laced with a tone that craved something out of the ordinary, something that would set her interest alight and hold it rather than a fleeting spark that faded in the normality of everyday life.

I felt a flicker of pity for her. Her own desire for the extreme and unusual, thrilling and extraordinary, would be both her best feature and greatest flaw. She would always want more than she has and although that would make her ambitious, it would also cause her to never have a constant stable presence in her life. She would never be truly settled and happy.

I may have felt some pity for her but that pity didn't affect my patience, I'd had enough of waiting and moved to sit at the edge of the concrete structure which I heard, from eavesdropping, was a half pipe.

A couple of boys flew up and down the half pipe on their skateboards. Their bodies rocked slightly to maintain their balance but there were times when it failed and they would fall. Their body flying through the air for just a split second of apparent weightlessness, as if gravity took it's time to take hold of them and pull them back to earth.

It reminded me of the woman who had taken that leap of finality off the cliff. When I watched I had thought it was magical the way her dress floated out behind her and her hair flowed out around her in a golden halo of waves that fluttered in the wind of the leap. She looked completely free as if the weight of the world had just been removed from her shoulders.