Chapter 19

The months of living in this place blurred easily, and I welcomed the peace and quiet that I had been denied the past few jumps

The months of living in this place blurred easily, and I welcomed the peace and quiet that I had been denied the past few jumps. They offered me some time to recuperate and relax.

The memories of my arrival here were already starting to become foggy, even my fourteenth birthday was just a day and seemed to be quickly followed by my fifteenth which had happened recently. However, I could still remember the relief I felt when I found what I now consider to be my home. Mine and no one else's.

I had found it on my first walk through the forest and fell instantly for the rustic homely feel it gave me. It was just a small single story cottage which had clearly been abandoned. I hadn't understood why at first, but I soon learnt that, with the year being 1957, many homes had been abandoned due to families being lost to the war.

I had learnt a lot through my daily walks through this small town of Belmore near Olympia, Washington. The population was large enough for me to be unnoticed but small enough for it to still hold a feeling of community. It was my ideal, and I found that I thrived here.

I hadn't made any real friends as I had in all the other places, but then again I had always had a need to interact with others. Here I didn't have to. I didn't have to rent a room or beg for a room to stay in. Here I had what I considered to be a home, although it certainly didn't have any of the home style luxuries many people probably had around here.

When I spent my first night there I had been ecstatic that it had firm stone walls, a roof, solid wooden flooring and a working bathroom. However, as the weeks began to pass, and I started to venture further into the town down the winding dirt path, I found myself gazing upon the beautifully carved pieces of furniture and homely basics that I was sure other homes boasted.

It was due to this window shopping that I took my first step into the town's bank and handed over my accounts details.

The memory of the banker's face still caused me amusement. I can recall with perfect clarity his amazement as he registered the value that my account had reached. His expression was enough to make a nervous smile crack across my face as I stood anxiously on the other side of the glass partition. My nerves and shaky smile were soon wiped away as he uttered the numbers to me and asked in a wavering voice 'how much will you be withdrawing today, Miss St Clair?'

It had taken me a few moments to reply for I was still in shock from the revelation that I had access to the sum of $235575, approximately. My mind had reeled at the idea that such riches had been bestowed upon me, but I knew Aslo had told me to accept what he gave me and not to question it. I suppose I had just underestimated how much wealth he had acquired during his five centuries of living.

That day, after visiting the bank, I furnished my home with all the comforts I had wished for and even had a local carpenter agree to build and install my own kitchen. It was all designed to run without electricity as I saw little need for such thing when I was used to living without it.