Chapter 24

My old life of voluntary solitude had swiftly been switched for one filled with a sense of family

My old life of voluntary solitude had swiftly been switched for one filled with a sense of family. I still primarily lived in my own house but I had only been in it to sleep for the past few days.

Every night Edward had stayed by my side while I slept, that is once we had spent most the day and night talking about our lives so far and any memories we had of each other. I had made a point of asking Edward not to tell me anything of when we first met because even a hint such as my age would be enough to manipulate my mind into calculating when I would meet him. I didn't want to constantly chase my next meeting with him because it would only cause me to see every other experience to be insignificant. Also, I couldn't hide the fact that if he told me my age then it would place a very real deadline on how long our present relationship could last.

I hated thinking of the end when, as Edward had said, we were only at the beginning. However, it was a tricky thing to do, to ignore the looming fact that this love of ours was limited by time. Each day that passed became another grain of sand to pass through the hourglass; the only problem was that I wasn't sure how fast our time was running out. It could be days, weeks, months, maybe even years. I hoped more than anything that it was years. I could leave him a little more contented if I had spent years with my heart in his hands.

The very idea that it could be mere days was enough to form a lump in my throat so I refused to even think it.

Alice and Esme have fast become my greatest friends, and Carlisle and Emmett are always eager to talk and learn about me. Rosalie and Jasper still kept their distance although Jasper would sometimes offer short sentences to a conversation if he was in a situation to do so.

I glanced over the vast wall of Carlisle's office, covered from floor to ceiling in art and pictures of the finest nature. The eclectic collection was situated amongst a room of honeyed oak panels and light cream walls, creating the perfect setting to amplify the diverse display.

I had been given free reign of the house for a few minutes since Alice was busy organising her latest makeover and the rest (except Carlisle) were out hunting. I couldn't understand how Alice could still find excitement in dressing me up when she had already tried several different styles in a matter of a few days. My body had never been controlled in such a way before, but I liked that it made her happy. She had such a vibrant spirit that I couldn't help but fall for her enthusiasm, just like Mary.

I sighed as I thought of my old friend Aslo. We'd had such an odd start to our friendship but I couldn't show enough gratitude for what he has done for me since, the money, the friendship, the understanding and belief. When I next saw him I was determined to show him some of the thanks he was due.

"Hello, Sarelle. Can I help you with something?" Carlisle stood beside me with interest playing on his face.

It was odd seeing so much of him when I had spent so long wishing to have the chance to be with him one more time.