Chapter 6

'Tis better to be vile than vile esteemed,When not to be receives reproach of being,And the just pleasure lost, which is so deemedNot by our feeling, but by others' seeing

When not to be receives reproach of being,
And the just pleasure lost, which is so deemed
Not by our feeling, but by others' seeing.

- Shakespeare, Sonnet 121

The time in this place seemed to change between dragging like feet through mud, to racing past in a flurry of seconds.

My conversations with Aslo continued. Each night he would enter my room and we would talk of anything we could think of. It was always at night, not that I could really tell the difference between night and day anymore. Darkness constantly surrounded me unless I walked with Aslo around the light up building after the sunset. He would take me to meet the other patients, though he didn't seem as close with them and often kept his distance. He rarely kept his distance from me; he once said it was like he was pulled towards me. Like something in me had an influence over him that made his affection for me increase above the usual disinterest he felt for the human inmates.

Although I was still wary of Aslo, I preferred being near him than with Mrs. Mills.

I soon learned she was a cruel and unkind woman, despite her supposedly protective role of Asylum Mistress.

I sat cross legged on my bed, my mind subdued by boredom and thought. It was time for food, signalled by the rolling silence coming from the other patients' rooms as the food momentarily ceased their groans and complaints. As always it was served through the hatch in the door. The meal consisted of a bread roll and a glass of water. It was bland and only acted as a way to sustain my life in this prison. It was torture in itself that they fed you just enough to keep you alive, but never enough to really fill you. After this meal the nurses would be coming to visit with their rainbow coloured pills.

Today I decided I would push my luck.

"Mrs. Mills, may I have a glass of milk with my food?" I heard an evil chuckle pass through the door.

"No, child. The milk is needed for the staff. Why do you think yourself more worthy of it than them?"

"I can't survive on these basic meals. Please, just one glass of milk."

"You don't know what you need. You're not well in your head. That is why I decide for you. I know best." Her footsteps echoed as she left me to my bland meal again.

The months continued to pass, and I felt myself waste away. My body was no longer soft and slim, but instead too lean to be pleasant on a young girl. Aslo still visited me at night, bringing with him my bag after I asked him for it.

During my days I was allowed to sit amongst the other patients, but only once I had been sedated by some potent drug they injected into me. I hated the fog it placed on my mind, but I liked escaping the darkness, so I gritted my teeth and bore the uncomfortably numb state I fell into.