Chapter 53

Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail. - Charles. F. Kettering

We had made our private flight with mere seconds to spare. We were lucky to have caught such an early flight and were up in the air within fifteen minutes of leaving the wooden cabin.

It hadn't taken long for us to gather our things. After all, we didn't need much other than passports and money. I had been given a fake passport as a precaution, though we weren't expected to need them since we were using the Cullen's private plane.

I didn't have my bag with me, I didn't need it. Instead it was still lying in the dark bedroom back in Alaska waiting for me to return and claim it again. I hadn't even felt uncomfortable leaving it behind, because I knew nothing would happen to it whilst I was gone. It would only be a couple of days 'til I returned. I had what were most important to me, my locket and my ring.

The three of us sat in silence, each in contemplation of what had happened, what was happening, and what could happen.

I couldn't speak for Rosalie or Emmett but, to me, the silent motion of flying through the air was pure torture. I found myself constantly looking out at the pitch black sky, hoping to see something that would show that we were moving instead of just floating still.

It was frustrating to be just sitting there, knowing that with each second that ticked by Edward was coming closer to ending his existence. Just because of a misunderstanding, a fatal mistake.

My leg bounced anxiously and Rosalie gave me a look of annoyance.

"Sarelle, I'm already starting to have doubts. Don't give me any more reasons to stop this little suicide mission right now." I stopped myself immediately. I knew she wouldn't really walk away from the chance to save Edward, but that didn't mean that I should annoy her any further. She was still a vampire and I was very much human. Plus, when we arrived at our destination, I needed to ask her and Emmett one last favour. In order for her to accept she would have to be in a good mood, a trusting mood.

I sighed in frustration and Emmett gave me a chuckle, "you know, Saz, it's faster than running." I nodded and bit my lip, just to be doing something other than sitting statue still like my two vampire companions.

The first hour slipped past in a cycle of restlessness and impatience. I felt like my skin itched with the need for progress, the need to have something to show for the time that had passed. I wanted some kind of milestone to signify that we had achieved something- like the crossing of an ocean or country. The problem was that due to us flying through the night I was given no relief of seeing the world rush past us. I couldn't see anything in the pitch black, so I was left with nothing else to do but constantly examine the plush interior of the private plane.

It was built for comfort but offered me none. The large leather seats made my body ache at their luxurious feel, all because I wanted to run and race to Edward. I didn't want to be sitting in this sedentary state, unsure of what was happening to him.

I didn't know how long we had been in the air, but finally the silence was interrupted by the ringing of Emmett's phone.

"It's Jasper," he said before flicking the little silver gadget open.

"The Devil Went Down To Georgia? Really, Emmett?" I chuckled at his stereotypical choice of ringtone. Rosalie rolled her eyes before focussing her attention on the phone call between Emmett and Jasper.

"We're on the plane now, left from Kantishna four hours ago. We should be at Florence Peretola in three hours tops. The pilot's taking a short cut."

I relaxed knowing that we were over half way. Just three more hours and I could finally break free from this place. Let my legs feel the burn from running.