Chapter 35

My eyes settled on the rose bush

My eyes settled on the rose bush. Its leaves were curled in on themselves or withered on the ground. The buds no longer bloomed with pretty pink flowers, but instead sat dormant making the bush look dead and wasted.

How odd that it could resemble the feeling within me now, the emptiness and grief that was left over from the shock of my latest discovery.

I felt my jaw clench tight as the tears burned my eyes again. All I wanted was a dream and a chance that it could come true. Why was it that fate felt the need to build up my hopes then crush them within the same day? It let me heal and recuperate just to smash me to the floor again while it laughed in my face.

Bitterness seethed in my veins and I reached to tear a handful of brittle rose leaves from the bush, just to crush them in my hand, just to feel the thorns bite into my skin, just to feel something.

A cry of anguish, anger, and loss escaped through my gritted teeth while a brutal cold wind whipped at my face. All the love and selfless idiocy that I had felt when Edward held me in his arms was wiped away, and all I was left with was the hatred of the life I had been dealt. My body reeked of the absolute grief that I had lost everything, a whole life and dream, to another girl. Another girl that I couldn't even hate! It was like some kind of twisted form of torture. I had all these emotions pent up in my soul forming a cacophony of feeling and yet I couldn't truly release them because the affection I felt for Bella was keeping them locked up.

I wanted nothing more than to curse and cry and spit her name in jealousy because she had what I wanted, but I couldn't because my mind rebuked me every time – flashing her sweet young face. Memories of her happy innocent laughter and chocolate bouncing curls filled my mind, past moments when she had sat on my knee and been fascinated by Aslo's book.

She was just a girl who met a man and wanted him forever. I knew that. Still I wanted so badly to hate her, just for an outlet for the anger because I couldn't hate Edward. No matter how much I reran the situation in my head. There was certainly part of me that seethed at the fact her had moved on and found another. I knew it had been over half a century but the bitter blameful side of me wanted to accuse him of being heartless and fickle. I wanted to curse him for abandoning hope and falling for another girl. However, my heart's feelings were overwhelmed but my mind's logic. He had just kept his promise. In a way it proved he still loved me. The fact that he followed my request and fell in love – just like I made him promise to.

What a fatal mistake that promise had been, and what a fool I had been for thinking it a noble, good idea. I wanted Edward happy, but I knew now I didn't want him to love another, hold another, kiss another. I wanted to be the only one.

But what's done is done and I must deal with the consequences of my choices.

My hand tightened around the thorny crushed leaves in my palm. My knuckles were white with the tension of my skin over my bones. My body was just stiff with the rage rolling through me.