Chapter 33

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

- Oscar Wilde

There's no escape, we're always here. Hide and seek, ready or not, here we come...

My body lurched up into the darkness as it often did in these passing days. In the conscious daytime I felt healed, content, and maybe even happy. It was all thanks to Renée and Phil -their constant enthusiasm, and excitement for life and its adventures. However, at night, the memories of the day weren't enough to keep me from the monsters that crept out from the dark corners of my mind when my guard was let down.

It wasn't every night that I woke with tear tracks down my cheeks, but it was often enough for me to know that my demons weren't going to leave me be. All I could do was keep moving forward and keep fighting them until the fear they held faded.

I should have expected their presence in my dream world, but in truth I had never really experienced them except for the night when I had revealed my troubled past to Rosalie, Alice, and Esme. I had opened the flood gates that night, and it seemed they were a little harder to shut than they had been before. Still, I didn't let my weary mind trouble Renée, and I was grateful that she and Phil were deep enough sleepers not to hear the whimpers I was sure to produce during the nightmares.

My new diary was filled with events we had shared together and things that I had learnt of their lives including odd details of Isabella - Bella. I still had my old diary safely secured from the world at the bottom of my bag. It held some of my happiest years imprinted on its pages, but it also housed my demons so I didn't read over the written words often. I knew I would find the written memories precious in years to come, but right now I didn't feel tempted to relive the past. I had too much of my future ahead of me to think in such a way.

I flicked on the little lamp on my bedside and rubbed my sleep blurred eyes. The light outside the window suggested it was reaching the time of day break, so I heaved myself off my bed and slipped into the bathroom with my clothes.

Once I was washed and dressed, I descended the stairs as always and pottered into the kitchen. It was a bright, sunny room and captured the sunrise beautifully through its picturesque window. I always managed to see the sunrise, a small gift given by the nightmares that woke me.

As I gathered the things required for a hearty breakfast I hummed the serenade Edward had written for me. It eased my mind after my nightmares and always brought a smile to my face when I thought of his golden eyes looking into mine. I knew it was probably odd that I thought so happily of the love I had lost, but I couldn't bring myself cry anymore. I wanted to think of him, and I wanted to do it with fondness not despair.

My body twirled and swayed as I reached the melody's crescendo, remembering how his small smile coated his lips as he would watch me over the piano. He was such a beautiful creature that I imagined it was almost necessary to question why he would want me. However, I never did. I knew him before the perfection descended on his being, and I knew, even as a boy, we had been close. So why should it be unusual for us to fall for each other when we had a history that linked us? It wasn't to say that I didn't have my moments of doubt. The times when I questioned if I was truly worthy of him, given the secrets I kept. But I could never doubt that he loved me, or the depth to which that emotion ran. He knew the more faultless version of me, and so I had enough self esteem to be confident in his love for me. Then again, I hid so many flaws and demons so I couldn't be as sure that I would be wanted if he found out.