Chapter 27

It had been odd waking up in the Cullen's guest room rather than my own bed, especially without Edward there

It had been odd waking up in the Cullen's guest room rather than my own bed, especially without Edward there. However, I couldn't feel unhappy at his absence because our day and night before had been a world of fun.

Alice had spent most the night altering anything she could get her nimble hands on. My wardrobe had been revamped and styled to perfection. I knew I wouldn't get much use out of it since I was still growing in more ways than one, but most of the pieces would fit me for another few months if not a year.

The spare clothes that either couldn't be altered or I didn't want changed were hanging in the depths of Alice's wardrobe waiting for me to take them back to my home and hang them back in my wardrobe. There wasn't much that had survived Alice's make over but key pieces such as my white and yellow flowered sundress had been left aside. It held too many memories of Chicago, Florida, and Texas. I couldn't face changing it in anyway. Alice had questioned my refusal a little as she adored the floral pattern around the neckline, but when I explained she left it aside. It was a little harder to explain my aversion to the violet dress I had bought on my second visit to Chicago.

It still had blood stains and dirt splattered across its surface. Alice had gasped when she saw the sight and turned to me with questions burning in her eyes. I was almost certain that she could smell the nightmarish memories embedded in the fabrics fibres. However, when she saw my face she gently placed the dress aside and tried to inject some humour and light fun back into the evening.

I adored her for that.

The fact she hadn't pushed me to unlock those feelings again, even though her curiosity itched for her to ask, was enough for me to value my friendship with her even more than I had before.

There was however one dress that caught her attention more than all the others, the Newalk Asylum dress. It had been bundled at the bottom of the small pile so I had overlooked it at first. I had looked at her warily when she had held the dress out in front of her to study every aspect.

Part of me had felt that maybe she might have remembered something by seeing such a prominent object from her past. It was a duplicate of the dress she would have worn herself, yet no recognition flashed in her eyes. Instead she had turned to me and asked me how I had come to own such a garment.

I sighed as I remembered our conversation.

"Sarelle, why didn't you tell us you have been in an asylum before?" Alice's voice was incredulous as she thumbed the sack dress, eyeing the printed name.

"It's not a time I enjoy reminiscing about, although it wasn't all bad." I sighed as I took the dress from her, remembering Aslo and our odd relationship, then Mary and her endless lust for life. It was such a temptation to just tell Alice of her past self but I knew such a rash actions wasn't one to be carried out on a whim. She hadn't expressed any desire to know about her past, but I promised myself that if she ever showed the desire to learn I would tell her everything I knew, even if it wasn't all good.