Chapter 20

Electric light beamed down on me, and I groaned against the brightness

Electric light beamed down on me, and I groaned against the brightness. My mind was clearing from the fog of my fainting spell; it reminded me of the rush of senses that happened when I jumped. I sat up bleary eyed as muffled voices started to clear around me.

"Miss St Clair, you need lay down a little while longer, let your body recuperate." A female voice interrupted my mind and soft hand eased me back down into my bed.

The movement made my head swirl and my eyes focus wavered sluggishly making the pastel green walls merge in a sickly way. A few minutes passed as I lay with my eyes closed, waiting for the room to stop spinning.

"Miss St Clair? I'm Dr Jones." A masculine voice spoke, and I open my eyes again to look upon a man in a white coat looking over a clipboard. He looked up and smiled as I heaved myself up from my pillow. I could feel my hair unfurling from the slightly tattered mess it had become whilst I was unconscious.

"Well, thank you for your help, Dr Jones. I'm feeling fine now, I promise. I could probably leave now actually." I fiddled with the sheets and started to remove myself from this embarrassing situation. I was very much aware of the fact that I had fainted unexpectedly in the middle of the library, but I was anxious to move on and forget about it.

"I'd prefer if you would let me check you over first, Miss St Clair, or should I call you Sarelle?" He peeked up from his focus of my chart and smiled warmly as he tried to get me to stay.

"Sarelle will be fine. Thank you." I replied quietly as I flopped back onto the bed in frustration, earning me a small laugh from Dr Jones.

"Shouldn't you be in school, Sarelle?" he asked, and I looked up to see his eyebrow quirk as he questioned me. I panicked slightly and my eyes locked with his navy ones.

"I'm homeschooled." I focussed on his eyes as I willed him to believe me. I relaxed instantly as he nodded in a slight daze. I had never fully understood how I could affect people, but I was glad it worked.

"Please can I go? I have quite a lot to do," I said. It wasn't that I wasn't grateful for the help they had given me, it's just I couldn't risk them asking any questions about my home life or circumstances. I had managed to survive months in this place without people asking too many questions about how I lived. I didn't want the one person to learn the truth of my parentless existence to be a doctor who had the ability to report me to the social services and change everything about the life I had grown to love.

"Well, I would like to have a better look at you. Dr Cullen was the attending resident when you came in, but he had to leave with a family issue, you haven't really been seen properly." As he finished checking over my chart he came round and collected the usual vitals: pulse, pupils, blood pressure. While he was gathering an understanding of my physical state, I was reeling at the information he had given me.

'Dr Cullen.'

Was it just a coincidence that he had the same surname as Carlisle?

I found it unlikely, but if the same doctor that had attended to me was the same man I had lived with as a young girl, as well as being the vampire I had said my goodbyes to in the forest of Tennessee, then it left me with the conclusion that this small town of Belmore was fast becoming a ghost town.