Chapter 34

He tries his hardest to conceal the stifling sniffles. The tears fell in bucket loads, blanketing his cheeks with that itchy warm liquid. He stumbles around his dark kitchen with only the moon outside illuminating through the window. He was searching for the plasters, needing to bandage the cuts he now possesses; luckily, walking away with only a cut lip, a bloody nose, a cut on his cheek and an ongoing pain in his shoulder. He was sure there were cuts on his arms and legs, coating his clothes in blood. Another wave of crushing emotions swept over him, swallowing him whole; it's unbearable to keep living this way.

"Taehyung?" A tired voice spoke by the kitchen doorway, causing Taehyung to freeze.

He could feel his heart hammering in his chest, drumming to the beat of the dripping water that tumbled from the sink tap. Taehyung felt sick to his stomach, his heart ready to leap from his torso. A cold chill inherited his skin, provoking terrible goosebumps to form. He knew exactly who it was, making this situation all the more terrifying. Taehyung swallows hard. He couldn't hide in the shadows forever as he wished; his secret would be revealed sooner or later, but this was terrible timing for it to happen.

'Unless...'

"T-Taejoon? What are you doing out of bed." Taehyung kept his back to his brother, hoping Taejoon was still half-asleep and would return to bed once he had acknowledged that Taehyung was home.

"Hyung? What's wrong?" The tiny voice was full of anticipation, which was sprung on by anxiety. Taehyung guessed that Taejoon sensed the tense air, the panic in Taehyung's tone must have alarmed the poor child.

"Taejoon, I'm fine." He attempts to sound more reliable in his words, yet no matter what he does, he can never be genuine.

There was a silence for another couple of seconds, partly tainted by Taehyung's repetitive heartbeats. He could hear the pitter-patter of Taejoon's footsteps nearing his still turned back, which instantly caused Taehyung to become defensive.

"For God's sake Taejoon, go back to bed!" He hisses, causing the child to flinch at the apparent anger in Taehyung's words.

Taejoon cowered. Of course, he did whenever Taehyung would act this way. He never wanted to be pushed away by the one he admires so dearly, but there were times when their close bond became interlined with a damaging strain.

"Hyung is always so mean!" The boy cries with a source of sadness laced in his words.

Taehyung expected to hear the scurrying of his little brother's footsteps; descending away from him. But instead, the footsteps drew near. Too close for Taehyung's comfort as he felt the light touch of Taejoon's small hand against his back.

"Sometimes you're nice, sometimes your mean. Why, hyung?!"

Fear consumed Taehyung. He couldn't risk his brother seeing him in such a state.

"Leave me alone!" He growls, his head still turned to the shadows so Taejoon couldn't see.

Taehyung felt his shirt tighten in Taejoon's grasp. He could tell by how his brother pinched it that Taehyung's words had gotten to him.

"No!" Taejoon snaps, his grip deathly like Taehyung was seconds from being snatched away from him. That was the problem, though; Taejoon was afraid. He had always been fearful that one-day Taehyung or his grandma, or God forbid, both of them would disappear forever, just like his parents. It was something he couldn't risk happening again.

Taehyung was growing impatient with Taejoon, something he tends to keep under control for the most part. He never liked shouting or pushing Taejoon away, but at that moment, something snapped within him.

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!"

The kitchen went still. An ill silence drowns out the fast racing of Taehyung's heartbeats. He screwed up; he knows it. But it was all too much. He didn't mean to raise his voice, to shove Taejoon hard onto the ground, to show the dark side of himself. To reveal the ugly marks that littered his skin. His body.

Taejoon's expression was painful when he saw the half-unmasked face of Taehyung's bruised and wounded face. It almost looked haunting; only the glaring light from the hallway illuminated one side of Taehyung's face; the rest lay in darkness. There was blood. A lot, to be exact - smeared across his cheek and under his nose. It was dry now but did no effect on calming Taejoon's nerves.

"H-hyung?" His quiet voice could almost be missed by the raging beats that had drummed their way into Taehyung's eardrums.

Taehyung felt bare. He was exposed to the very one he least wanted to see.

"Taejoon," Taehyung spoke slowly, a sudden dread forming at the back of his throat. He wanted to throw up due to his nervous tummy, which no longer had butterflies but full-on explosions.

Taehyung couldn't think clearly. He could barely speak as it was, but he couldn't think quickly enough. How would he wiggle his way out of this one? Taejoon had seen, and there was nothing left that he could do or say to change the matter.

The frightened Taejoon gawked wide-eyed at his brother's cuts, frozen to the spot.

Well, that was until - "NA-"

"-Stop it!" Taehyung whisper-yells, covering Taejoon's lips from screaming for their grandma. Taejoon stared with enormous eyes; he was in disbelief.

Taehyung kept his hand firmly across his brother's small lips. "Taejoon, please, you need to forget about this. You can not tell grandma about this; I'm dealing with it alone." He spoke calmly, trying to convince Taejoon that everything was actually okay.

Taejoon intensely watched Taehyung for a few more minutes, easily being persuaded. Steadily, he nods in agreement. Taehyung waits a couple more seconds before releasing his hand from Taejoon's lips.

"Now you have to promise me, Taejoon, that you wouldn't tell anyone about this, especially grandma."

It was a lot to ask of, especially since Taejoon was just a child, but Taehyung had to be sure Taejoon never spoke of this night ever.

Again, Taejoon nods with a soft bob. He was left speechless; he wouldn't dare defy Taehyung. Not now, not ever.

Maintaining his calm appearance, Taehyung begins pushing Taejoon in the direction of the harsh hall light.

"Time for you to go back to bed, and remember this is our secret."

Taehyung wasn't sure which was worst. Finally, being caught or the fact he managed to manipulate his little brother into keeping his secret.

Which he was successful in doing.