Chapter 1

内山夕暉の秘密
Uchiyama Sekki's Secret

-x-

I didn't want to be in Aoba Johsai.

Despite having good academic grades, I'm not the type to just study everyday, without stopping. I like club activities, and what girls would usually like: boys.

During my middle school days in Kitagawa Daiichi, I found a cute boy named Kageyama Tobio. He's a volleyball player in our school, so I usually try to visit the gym to watch him play. He used to be so cute as he practiced. As he grew up, he became a little arrogant, but that just made him.. uh, charming.

I wanted to be in Karasuno.

"夕暉 (Sekki)," my best friend called. She followed my line of sight to the window and then put her hand on her forehead as she squinted her eyes, as if she's searching for something. "おー...此処から烏野が本当に見えて来るだね!(Oh.. You can totally see Karasuno from here!)" She joked, and her contagious laughter followed afterwards.

Even after my laughter faded, the smile stayed on my lips. "優衣、俺はそれについて静かにする言ったでしょ?秘密だ (Yui, didn't I tell you to be quiet about it? That's a secret)," I told her as we started walking out of the classroom.

Her eyebrows met as she looked at me, displeased. "影山さんは此処にいないよ。問題ない (Kageyama-san is not here. There wouldn't be a problem, you know)," she reasoned.

I get her point. But. "実際にそのような事を考えている事を人々に知られたくない (I just don't want people to know that I actually think of those kind of stuff.)"

"まさか (You mean)." She abruptly stood in front of me, stopping my tracks. Yui brought her face close to mine as her smirk almost reached her ears. "恋か?(Romance?)" Instantly, my face was deep red. To me, it's embarrassing to hear such a word. I like boys, but I don't.. I'm not.. That crazy over.. Ka..

I'm not.

Kageyama Tobio is an excellent volleyball player, so I look up to him. But, there's more to life than just love. Right. Keep that in mind Sekki.

I took a deep breath and exhaled carefully. The thought of Kageyama Tobio always gets me off guard. No matter the situation, it never fails to make my heart race. That's why I don't like to focus on it.

Romantic attachments will be the end of me.

"恥ずかしいだね? (You're embarrassed, aren't you?)" Yui's eyes stayed in front as I gave her a nod.

We remained quiet for awhile, and I thought we will be quiet until we reach the changing room, but nope. I was wrong. Somewhere in the middle I heard her whisper Kageyama Tobio's name. She couldn't hide her laugh. I only gave her a wry smile. She's helpless.

"あらあら...飛雄ちゃんの名前聞いたか?(Well.. Did I just hear Tobio-chan's name?)"

That does not sound good.

Yui and I turned behind at the same time and found the great king, Oikawa Tooru. A smirk was plastered on his face as he stared at me amusingly. He was definitely taller than me, so his eyes were looking down at me as he shifted his weight. He placed his hand on his hips, making him look sassier than any other girl I've met.

"彼の事を考えすぎる、及川さん (You're thinking of him too much Oikawa-san)," I replied, with a forced smile.

Oikawa Tooru is a man I cannot trust. He's a volleyball geek, and there's too much girls surrounding him. And although he's just one position higher than me in academic rankings, I do not, and will not, ever, ask for his help. It's best to keep distance from an enemy.